Introducing Conure to Roommates

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Hi everyone! I've normally been able to figure out most of my bird related problems pretty easily before but I'm having a hard time with my current issue.

I just got my jenday from my family who'd been taking care of him for me until I finished graduating college, and I'm trying to figure out how to introduce him to my roommates so they can all get along. He's around 8-9 years old and male, I've had him since he was around a year old. He hated my dad the entire time we had him and never adjusted to him being around but adjusted to everyone else in the family fine.

Does anyone have any tips or have encountered this situation before? I want to try and avoid making any big mistakes that would make him dislike my roommates because we'll be living together for at least a few more years and I'd like for them to be able to handle and take care of him in case I'm away overnight or a few days. One of them especially likes birds so he'd be really sad if mine didn't like him haha. Any tips would really be appreciated!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Respect! It really is up to your roommates on how it goes! Make sure they respect ‘jenday’s’ boundaries!
And you will need to control all your vibes! Jenday is going to be looking to you for clues on how to handle this intrusion into the flock!
Slow and steady, ignore the many setbacks!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
have you burd out and on you. In a calm happy mood. Feed a treat, walk over bear room mates feed a treat. If staying in a good mood have yiur room mate offer a treat. Walk away and repeat many times.

Also put a special small treat inky dish in cage. Roommates walk over to cage just say hi, and drop one treat seed in treat dish and walk away. Repeat many time a day for awhile. Always when anyone in home is coming or going, they walk over to cage say hi im home, put treat in dish. When they leavthey go and say bye I'm heading out abd out treat in dish. This helps bird feel like he knows what's going on and is includes.

Share meals together like a flock. Set him up with his own space and feed dish next to yiu will yiu are eating. Eating together reinforced thst you all are a flock.

After an adjustment period, weeks. If yiur burd is good at stepping up. Have him on you then step to a person and get a treat and step right back to you snd get a treat. Only do once at a time but can Repeat an hour or do later, make it part if your routine.

That should get you started. You want to layer postive association. If yiur burd is very nice about taking treats, after awhile when they come sbd go they give treat by hand. Its a fluid situation, you want every one calm and happy

OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Respect! It really is up to your roommates on how it goes! Make sure they respect ‘jenday’s’ boundaries!
And you will need to control all your vibes! Jenday is going to be looking to you for clues on how to handle this intrusion into the flock!
Slow and steady, ignore the many setbacks!

thank you! he's still trying to adjust to everything since this is the first time he's moved to a new home so I'm sure he's feeling overwhelmed. my roommates definitely willing to do what it takes to make sure he's comfortable!

OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
have you burd out and on you. In a calm happy mood. Feed a treat, walk over bear room mates feed a treat. If staying in a good mood have yiur room mate offer a treat. Walk away and repeat many times.

Also put a special small treat inky dish in cage. Roommates walk over to cage just say hi, and drop one treat seed in treat dish and walk away. Repeat many time a day for awhile. Always when anyone in home is coming or going, they walk over to cage say hi im home, put treat in dish. When they leavthey go and say bye I'm heading out abd out treat in dish. This helps bird feel like he knows what's going on and is includes.

Share meals together like a flock. Set him up with his own space and feed dish next to yiu will yiu are eating. Eating together reinforced thst you all are a flock.

After an adjustment period, weeks. If yiur burd is good at stepping up. Have him on you then step to a person and get a treat and step right back to you snd get a treat. Only do once at a time but can Repeat an hour or do later, make it part if your routine.

That should get you started. You want to layer postive association. If yiur burd is very nice about taking treats, after awhile when they come sbd go they give treat by hand. Its a fluid situation, you want every one calm and happy

This helps a lot, thank you so much! He takes treats very well and is still trying to adjust to being in a new space since it's the first time he's moved and it's just me that he knows.

I'll definitely follow this tactic moving forward, I appreciate the help!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You need to quarantine both for a minimum of 45 days, but ideally 3 months in separate rooms and ideally, a separate air space (although most are unable to do a totally separate air space, sep rooms are a must)....This matters. The 3 months and seperate air space thing is the ideal time/situation (quoted by vet) but in practice, that is hard. The bare minimum is 45 days in separate rooms with special attention to the role of human transmission (clothes,hands, hair etc).

Many are asymptomatic carriers of deadly diseases (pdd,abv, pbfd). Some academic sources cite estimates stating that upwards of 40% of captive parrots are asymptomatic carriers/spreaders. Just bc a bird seems healthy, doesn't mean it wont infect another (the spread occurs in many ways, but all can spread through microscopic dander particles in the air). It can take 2 weeks to 10 years for a bird that will eventually develop symptoms to show. Some birds spread for a lifetime and never get sick, while other get exposed to these carriers and die. While testing for such illnesses is tricky in asymptomatic birds, viral shedding is most likely during times of stress and transition (e.g., a new bird in the house).

It's like a much more dangerous covid in that respect, but long-term with regard to infectious periods (can last a lifetime without symptoms) and incubation periods are all over the board.

EDIT-- I MISUNDERSTOOD OP-- Thought he was combining 2 birds-- sorry!

Last edited:
OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
You need to quarantine both for a minimum of 45 days, but ideally 3 months in separate rooms and ideally, a separate air space (although most are unable to do a totally separate air space, sep rooms are a must)....This matters. The 3 months and seperate air space thing is the ideal time/situation (quoted by vet) but in practice, that is hard. The bare minimum is 45 days in separate rooms with special attention to the role of human transmission (clothes,hands, hair etc).

Many are asymptomatic carriers of deadly diseases (pdd,abv, pbfd). Some academic sources cite estimates stating that upwards of 40% of captive parrots are asymptomatic carriers/spreaders. Just bc a bird seems healthy, doesn't mean it wont infect another (the spread occurs in many ways, but all can spread through microscopic dander particles in the air). It can take 2 weeks to 10 years for a bird that will eventually develop symptoms to show. Some birds spread for a lifetime and never get sick, while other get exposed to these carriers and die. While testing for such illnesses is tricky in asymptomatic birds, viral shedding is most likely during times of stress and transition (e.g., a new bird in the house).

It's like covid in that respect, but much more long-term with regard to infectious periods (can last a lifetime without symptoms) and incubation periods are all over the board.

Thank you for the info! I don't have any other birds in the home and mine's had many checkups (including blood tests) over the years from vets with good results so hopefully he'll be ok. My concern is mainly how he'll do adjusting to both a new home and new people. Fortunately I also do not plan on getting another bird while I have mine.

I do have him in my room instead of the main living space to keep him away from the kitchen and to keep the air the same but im hoping eventually he will be comfortable enough to hang out in the main living area with everyone since I like to do my work there.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

It's like covid in that respect, but much more long-term with regard to infectious periods (can last a lifetime without symptoms) and incubation periods are all over the board.

Thank you for the info! I don't have any other birds in the home and mine's had many checkups (including blood tests) over the years from vets with good results so hopefully he'll be ok. My concern is mainly how he'll do adjusting to both a new home and new people. Fortunately I also do not plan on getting another bird while I have mine.

I do have him in my room instead of the main living space to keep him away from the kitchen and to keep the air the same but im hoping eventually he will be comfortable enough to hang out in the main living area with everyone since I like to do my work there.

It's more about the fact that standard blood work will not pick these up in asymptomatic carriers of these 3 diseases--- they require highly specific serology panels and they are not cheap. I doubt your bird or your roommate's bird has been tested, as testing birds for abv, pdd, and pbfd are not common practice unless symptoms present. Consequently, many carriers spread it (as they do not show symptoms which would prompt testing). Furthermore, testing an infectious but asymptomatic bird with any of the 3 can sometimes produce false negatives (but never false positives) as the results depend on teh amount of viral shedding at the time.

You mention keeping him away from the kitchen, which is important, but I do want to clarify that the reason for this is to protect from smoke/fumes etc, but WILL NOT protect from teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfc usage. These fumes from pans and other coated surfaces can kill on operate floors through closed doors...so please don't assume that keeping him in a separate room will protect him from teflon/pfcs/pfoa/ptfe. Even if a bird survives exposures, the damage is irreversible.
Space heaters, pots, pans, cookie sheets, drip trays, irons, ironing boards, air fryers, popcorn poppers, poaching pans, griddles, panini makers, waffle irons, George Foreman grills, electric skillets, hair straighteners, curling irons, heat lamps, ovens, toaster ovens, certain types of heavy-duty foil, and even microwave popcorn bags (the paper type) often contain these chemical coatings.

The reason for the quarantine is to make sure that the stress levels are lower by the time they are introduced in order to hopefully mitigate shed...But, there is always disease risk when you have 2 birds in the same room together (unless you have really run the gambit on testing etc during periods of weakened immunity/high stress). This is also why boarding is so dang risky.

EDIT-- I MISUNDERSTOOD OP-- Thought he was combining 2 birds-- sorry!

Last edited:
OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure

It's more about the fact that standard blood work will not pick these up in asymptomatic carriers of these 3 diseases--- they require highly specific serology panels and they are not cheap. I doubt your bird or your roommate's bird has been tested, as testing birds for abv, pdd, and pbfd are not common practice unless symptoms present. Consequently, many carriers spread it (as they do not show symptoms which would prompt testing). Furthermore, testing an infectious but asymptomatic bird with any of the 3 can sometimes produce false negatives (but never false positives) as the results depend on teh amount of viral shedding at the time.

Oh I think there's been a misunderstanding haha, im the only one in the home with a bird, there are no other birds living here! I just mentioned that my roommate likes birds a lot so he wants to do his best to be on friendly terms with mine. I didn't know that about the blood work though so that's good to learn, thank you!

Sorry editing this; I've had my bird for 8 years so I know all the info with pans and weve removed anything dangerous from the kitchen already.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
OHHH I thought your roommate had a bird and you were wanting to keep both in the same room- I misunderstood!!!

OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
OHHH I thought your roommate had a bird and you were wanting to keep both in the same room- I misunderstood!!!

All good! Rereading my original post I can see how that reads haha. I'm still doing my best to keep him comfy and happy since it's his first move since he was a baby.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I skimmed and missed the boat! eek !

Make sure your roommates know all about the teflon rules etc and that they can't vape or use insense or most standard cleaners in the same house though.

I'd have them spend time in the room but at a distance, just doing what they do ...maybe reading out loud from a book, but following your bird's lead. No need to get up and try to pet or say "HEYYYY" in your bird's face, unless the bird shows interest. I'd also lay ground rules about responding to screaming etc...You don't want them reinforcing bad behaviors with attention without knowing they are doing so.

OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
I skimmed and missed the boat! eek !

Make sure your roommates know all about the teflon rules etc and that they can't vape or use insense or most standard cleaners in the same house though.

I'd have them spend time in the room but at a distance, just doing what they do ...maybe reading out loud from a book, but following your bird's lead. No need to get up and try to pet or say "HEYYYY" in your bird's face, unless the bird shows interest. I'd also lay ground rules about responding to screaming etc...You don't want them reinforcing bad behaviors with attention without knowing they are doing so.

For sure! They've known he was coming for quite a long time now so we had ample time to make sure everything is safe.

I'll try doing that along with the treat method another user suggested, it will take a while but I'm hoping eventually he'll feel like they're a part of the flock. Haha yeah, I've told them about how birds are with training and reinforcement so they have the whole run down. Thank you so much, I appreciate the advice a lot!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Make sure you all use the same flock call phrase or whistle. When he calls out you/they answer , to help prevent screaming. Also when you are gone abd he calls out, they can say hey "parrots name " " your name" isn't home he will be back later. Over time he will understand this.

Burds like routines and rituals.
Aldo very important to have same bed time and un interpretation 10-12 hours sleep a night.

Because this species can be loud. Remember to praise and give treats when quiet. We often forget to give treats to reward goid behavior.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mhpumpkin10

May 8, 2021
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Make sure you all use the same flock call phrase or whistle. When he calls out you/they answer , to help prevent screaming. Also when you are gone abd he calls out, they can say hey "parrots name " " your name" isn't home he will be back later. Over time he will understand this.

Burds like routines and rituals.
Aldo very important to have same bed time and un interpretation 10-12 hours sleep a night.

Because this species can be loud. Remember to praise and give treats when quiet. We often forget to give treats to reward goid behavior.

I didn't even think about the call phrase and whistle, thank you! We'll definitely work on the name calling system, I'm sure he'll pick up on it.

He goes to bed at the same time every night and has for a long time so I'm keeping the same schedule that he's used to :) Definitely going to be using the treat system since he has lots of favorites and will need to learn for the sake of everyone's ears when it can be helped haha. Thank you so much! I'm glad I posted asking because a lot of general advice is for new birds but he's already bonded with me so the situation feels very different than when we first got him as a baby.

Most Reactions