Introduction help needed

Soulie

Dec 31, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus x 2
Hi everyone, we have got a 10 (ish) month old female, and we decided to get her a boy (for company). He's 3-4 months old.

We took her to meet him and she was kissing him and snuggling with him and chattering away to him the entire time they were together so be brought him home.

He currently has a temporary smaller cage (the breeders let us borrow it), so he currently has his own space.

Our girl watches over him, chats to him and seems to like him, but they've had a few fights. She had a go at him on top of her cage, inside his cage and now most recently she climbed off her stand and up his (both outside of their cages) and she went to attack him. He flew away. He's a bit scared of her now :(

We are on day 3 of having both birds. Is there anything we can do to help them settle? She was so sweet to him when they first met and now she's occasionally being a little nut bar towards him, so we make sure there's distance between them when they are out of the cages together). We are nervous to put them too close as we don't want him to get anxious or upset.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He's such a sweet boy, despite needing to learn some manners (he's not fond of hands yet).

Thanking you I'm advance!

Attachments

• received_1507453376401824.jpeg
    received_1507453376401824.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221230_211807.jpg
    20221230_211807.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221229_140407.jpg
    20221229_140407.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 46

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

I have no experience with Ekkies, so hopefully someone who does will come along with some ideas for you. I feel like advice for male-female pairs might be a little different than for other species and I don't want to steer you wrong :)

From reading this forum, I do know that managing diet is really important for Eclectus, and I would guess even more so when you have male and female hormones to deal with.

I didn't see a lot specifically about pairs in these sticky threads, but I'll link them in case you haven't come across them yet for the good general info in them:

Here's a thread on diet
https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...eed-to-know-but-were-too-afraid-to-ask.91924/

And another with more tips

https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/so-you-think-you-want-an-eclectus.52737/

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!

With Eclectus, IMO it's better to keep them in separate cages. Females can be domineering, and your boy could easily get hurt. That being said, even in a separate cage they can be great company for each other.
You're doing the right thing with keeping space between them while they're both out. They may become friends, or they may never really get along.
If they do become friends, what you're doing will allow it to develop naturally.
They are both beautiful! What are their names?

OP
S

Soulie

Dec 31, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus x 2
Thanks everybody, her name is Akari and his name is Cosmo. I'm hoping they do share a cage at some point in their lives, or even a double cage, but realistically I know there's a huge chance they won't.

She Hangs out with him outside the cage for hours then suddenly she becomes jaws and goes to him on his stand and tries to bite him. He respects her space but he flew away To avoid being bit.

I'm just trying to see if there's anything We can do to help them both settle to the change, or if what we are doing is ok. We don't want to stress him out as he's just a baby.

As far as diet goes, They eat fresh veggies daily, fruit, occasional nuts, a special foraging mix made for ekkies from bird world. We've done a lot of research before we got her on how to look after them.

Happy new year everyone :)

OP
S

Soulie

Dec 31, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus x 2
Idk why my phone keeps adding extra lines in the text editor, so apologies for that lol

throwingcopper33

Sep 28, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
I wonder if having them together for 15 minutes, and then separating them before the bad behavior starts would be an idea. Then adding 5 minutes each day until the bad behavior, then start dialing back the time. For instance, Luna can usually stay on my shoulder for 15 minutes before she starts biting my ears. So at the 15 minute mark, I take her off my shoulder before the bad behavior starts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts