Ionizing air purifiers

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you very much. At $40 a filter, and having to replace them monthly (3 of them as I have them on all floors in my house) as they are really dirty by then is so expensive. I was trying to find a way to at least make them last a few months. The odd thing is my air purifiers are full of dirt, and dander. My furnace filter usually looks good when I replace that monthly (only $5 to replace these filters).
That is because that $5 filter does not filter very much at all! When you visit your Hardware store or wherever you are buying those filters ask about the more effect filters (yes, they cost more) and up-class your furnace filter. You will be shocked at just how much your current filter is just passing though. FYI: Never clean a filter indoors as you are just placing much of it back into the air.

Last edited:

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I got a Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology just before I got any parrots. From the explanation here:
...It sounds as though this thing does a different/better method of ionization.

PlasmaWave® Technology can be incorrectly mislabelled as an “Ionizer” or confused with negative ion generation technology. Our technology is far superior because it produces both positive and negative ions while ionizers only produce negative ions. Negative ion air purifiers do not eliminate air pollutants. Instead, negative ions force contaminant particles to group together so they are weighed down onto the surface of furniture and floors. Everyday activities such as walking or vacuuming can reintroduce these contaminants by helping them become airborne once again.

Our WINIX PlasmaWave® Technology effectively reduces the concentration of air pollutants.

I am not convinced it is parrot-safe, but:

Is PlasmaWave® safe?​

Yes, Plasmawave® meets the California Air Resource Board’s AB 2276 standard, which is the most rigorous American certification benchmark for indoor air cleaning ozone emissions. To attain compliance, air-cleaning devices must be tested for electrical safety and have ozone emission ratings below the 0.05 parts per million limit.

Does anyone have any useful thoughts or insight besides erring on the side of caution and treating it as if it is a typical ionizer, even though it is not?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure what you classify as useful regarding any product that uses the term "PlasmaWave" as part of a Marketing statement to encourage individuals to buy their product. Understanding that in the World of Electricity a Plasma State occurs at Very High Voltage. Far above what homes /apartment buildings even have available.

IMHO, Its Marking Mumble Jumble to get people to buy their stuff. I avoid buying from such organizations.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Not sure what you classify as useful regarding any product that uses the term "PlasmaWave" as part of a Marketing statement to encourage individuals to buy their product. Understanding that in the World of Electricity a Plasma State occurs at Very High Voltage. Far above what homes /apartment buildings even have available.

IMHO, Its Marking Mumble Jumble to get people to buy their stuff. I avoid buying from such organizations.
I suppose I am quite accustomed to such marketing, because as a young man, I operated a plasma cutter for a year as part of my job, and real "plasma" state never crossed my mind when I saw their marketing term. :]

With over 20 years and counting in "tech" (IT and electro-mechanical tech), I am actually intrigued by their variation on ionization. I ran that purifier twice now--and it works really well, really quickly!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That sounds like so much work kme! We have a levoit with an app that tells me when to replace it, and running it on medium-high it lasted a couple months, and my house is DUSTY…

They’re also about $30 per filter. Not my favorite, but I spend more than that on toys per month so I just kind of close my eyes and hand over my debit card… :eek: Maybe I should try vaccuming it and seeing if the detection system in it rules it as more “clean”.

Most Reactions