Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi guys, my parents got an air purifier for my birds, which I'm very thankful for.

Only issue, is that it's ionizing. I can't just tell them to send it back. Would it be ok if sparingly used? My mom doesn't think ions are that bad, she thinks it's untrue.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Such gifts can sometimes be problematic as the gift is based in caring /love for you and your' Parrots. Near all such air purifiers have a switch to turn-on /off the ionizing unit within. By simply turning the ionizing unit off. You can eliminate any issues, regarding 'smell' in your room byTargeting cleaning your room a bit more. That will forgo any concerns the unit was purchased to address.

Thank them for caring and clean a bid better and life goes on with everyone happy.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Unfortunately the ionizing feature can't be turned off as far as I know.

Would it be safe if I move them outside the home for a while and then turn on the purifier for a while? And maybe open the windows afterwards? If it's not ok for them I'll use it in my room, but it is very near their room, so I can just as well use it in theirs.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The main reason we got it is not due to smell, but because of germs/dust, because even after sweeping/vacuuming there is still some dust in the air.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bad News, there is always some level of dust in the air! We can reduce it, but one would have to go to Laboratory Clean Room equipment to get near zero.

Not saying your unit doesn't have the ability to shut-off the ionizing unit, but normal operations of such a unit would be to turn it fully-on, then one would switch to 'Fan /Filter only operation after the elimination of smell.

NOTE: Likely a Marketing Issue here as the Manufacturer maybe pushing the unit as a killer of viruses, which it has a very limited ability. The main reason for such a unit is the elimination of smells, commonly cigarette smoke.

Check the control panel and see if there is a 'Fan' setting.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
16605643622982233176153866413159.jpg
16605644019838910497204626865879.jpg

Attachments

• 20220815_135539.jpg
    20220815_135539.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 61
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Bad News, there is always some level of dust in the air! We can reduce it, but one would have to go to Laboratory Clean Room equipment to get near zero.
I'm aware that dust will always be there, but if you'd enter my bird room, the air would be very thick and dusty, so I want to reduce the problem at least a little bit.
Not saying your unit doesn't have the ability to shut-off the ionizing unit, but normal operations of such a unit would be to turn it fully-on, then one would switch to 'Fan /Filter only operation after the elimination of smell.

NOTE: Likely a Marketing Issue here as the Manufacturer maybe pushing the unit as a killer of viruses, which it has a very limited ability. The main reason for such a unit is the elimination of smells, commonly cigarette smoke.

Check the control panel and see if there is a 'Fan' setting.
Thank you for the reply.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have read the documents you provided and have searched the internet (with no luck) and find the information lacking. I can see from the photo and the instructions that the unit is a simple on /off unit.

It 'appears' that the unit creates an electrical charge in the path of the incoming air and on the filter surface it creates an opposite charge, which increases the adherence of the dust in the air to stick better to the filter surface. This is enhanced by changing the AC Voltage to DC which is easier to maintain a separate + charge within the incoming air stream and a separate - charge on the filter.

Understanding that all marketing claims of a manufacturing company are not always reliable. Base on that, IMHO this unit will remove more dust from the air than a simple filter unit. Its effect on 'germs' is limited to what may stick to what else is on the filter, which blocks 'some amount' from passing by the filter.

I am not sure that this unit, in fact, creates any volume of 'Ions' beyond the term kind of being used it its name. In a different room, turn the unit on and let it run for a short period of time. A devise that creates Ions have a fairly heavy aroma of an electrical discharge, a slight sour smell is the best I can offer.

I would recommend that you move the Parrots out of your room when you are using it and after a couple of hours of the room being open, return them to the room.

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hey @PippTheBananaBirb or @SailBoat I didn’t want to start another thread when there is one already going about air purifiers. I was looking for information on why they are good to have when there are parrots in a house. Both of you seem educated on this subject.

Do either of you know why they are good to have when there are parrots in the house? Does it help with dander, a parrots health?

My vet suggested it, and I didn’t want to be annoying, and ask why…

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
In my case I think it helps with both.

I have a BlueAir purifier that has been verified by third parties to remove particles as small as viruses (it's rated for Covid removal for example) - I've used this brand since living in the PNW where wildfire smoke was an issue for my asthma but found that it also prevented symptoms during high mold/pollen times. I buy a new filter every 4-6 months which can add up over time but I've been really happy with it so far.

(My brother is an engineer and data junkie and has a spreadsheet of his tests of different purifiers; BlueAir checked the boxes for my needs so I haven't tried other big name brands)

I guess for me in your shoes I might ask your vet what's important for the purifier? Dander overall, or actual pathogen control to reduce the chance of spreading virus or bacteria? Aside from other hygiene methods of course.

There's a price difference for those results IMO.

I have significant asthma so a purifier is nice for me regardless of pets, but I've been surprised at how little dust I find compared to before I had it in Cotton's room (living room).

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
In my case I think it helps with both.

I have a BlueAir purifier that has been verified by third parties to remove particles as small as viruses (it's rated for Covid removal for example) - I've used this brand since living in the PNW where wildfire smoke was an issue for my asthma but found that it also prevented symptoms during high mold/pollen times. I buy a new filter every 4-6 months which can add up over time but I've been really happy with it so far.

(My brother is an engineer and data junkie and has a spreadsheet of his tests of different purifiers; BlueAir checked the boxes for my needs so I haven't tried other big name brands)

I guess for me in your shoes I might ask your vet what's important for the purifier? Dander overall, or actual pathogen control to reduce the chance of spreading virus or bacteria? Aside from other hygiene methods of course.

There's a price difference for those results IMO.

I have significant asthma so a purifier is nice for me regardless of pets, but I've been surprised at how little dust I find compared to before I had it in Cotton's room (living room).
I didn’t realize that there was price differences that cover different things. I just read to get one that is HEPA. I added the links to the ones I purchased below. One of them is in my room, and the other one is in Nico’s over night room where his cage is. I may purchase another one for where the conures are downstairs, but they really don’t have any dander. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09V5RDYJ4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08M6JPS1D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Air filters help remove dust and dander that all parrots produce in varying degrees. Since your guy has sinus issues I’d guess that’s why they advised you get one; nearly every time we have a new vet tech cleaning Kirby’s nostrils I get asked if I have one, lol! Sadly I do; he’s just prone to issues.

Never be afraid to ask questions of your vet! It shows you care and want to learn. I ask loads of questions and frankly they’re probably sick of me, but I’d rather ask and understand so that I am more diligent on follow through!

Pip, I agree with Boats that this looks like one of those filters that uses electrical fields to attract dust to the unit. I don’t see anything after a quick scan of the instructions that indicates it’s got HEPA filtration, it says it doesn’t even have a fan. Ionizers are actually pretty terrible at getting rid of large dust particles; what I can find online says this unit puts out negative ions to clean the air and that would definitely produce ozone. They definitely generate a noticeable odor so I agree that you should try it out in a different room and see if it stinks!

Another note; ionizers are bad for parrots, but it’s not like Teflon where it will instantly kill them. Definitely use caution but try not to stress yourself out too much; they’re going to be okay! I don’t think I’d use it in their room if it works like I think it does though.

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have used the air purifier in my room and so far I have had zero issues. It does remove some dust, but not all of it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy to hear that you have no problems!

NOTE: We use a whole house HEPA filtration unit, which is part of our 'forced air' heating /cooling unit. This large (thick) HEPA filter is 6" (150 mm) that we included as part of our new home build. We change twice a year. Older home or a home in dustier areas or areas that commonly experience forest fires will need to change more often. For older homes that have a standard 1" (25 mm) thick filters, you can use a HEPA Filter, but will need to change it more often. The 'fan' only setting can be used to clean the air during non-heating or cooling periods.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Does anyone know how to expand the life of a filter? Has anyone tried vacuuminig them? I came across an article online about this.

The reason I ask is filters are about $40 (not cheap). I just checked my filter, and it looks pretty dirty. It's only been in there for about a month. We have 2 dogs, and 3 birds. Is this normal?

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Does anyone know how to expand the life of a filter? Has anyone tried vacuuminig them? I came across an article online about this.

The reason I ask is filters are about $40 (not cheap). I just checked my filter, and it looks pretty dirty. It's only been in there for about a month. We have 2 dogs, and 3 birds. Is this normal?
I think filters need to be cleaned...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Filters are the center of any system that cleans the air.

Filters can be cleaned and how aggressive one gets is based on the design of the filter as some are by design, created to be cleaned. Other styles are by design, created to be replaced or with care can be cleaned by vacuuming their surface.

Understand that replacement style filters fill with the full volume that enters them. That means from the thicker heavier items we see to the very tiny that we do not. Point being, one can clean this type of filter a couple of times, but as you use it they fill and first slow than stop removing the very tiny particular fragments, i.e. those items that you are really using this unit to remove.

With a strong vacuum, remove the large /heavy items from the surface. Do not attempt to draw them though the element!!

Remember that this can only be done a couple of times!!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Filters are the center of any system that cleans the air.

Filters can be cleaned and how aggressive one gets is based on the design of the filter as some are by design, created to be cleaned. Other styles are by design, created to be replaced or with care can be cleaned by vacuuming their surface.

Understand that replacement style filters fill with the full volume that enters them. That means from the thicker heavier items we see to the very tiny that we do not. Point being, one can clean this type of filter a couple of times, but as you use it they fill and first slow than stop removing the very tiny particular fragments, i.e. those items that you are really using this unit to remove.

With a strong vacuum, remove the large /heavy items from the surface. Do not attempt to draw them though the element!!

Remember that this can only be done a couple of times!!
Thank you very much. At $40 a filter, and having to replace them monthly (3 of them as I have them on all floors in my house) as they are really dirty by then is so expensive. I was trying to find a way to at least make them last a few months. The odd thing is my air purifiers are full of dirt, and dander. My furnace filter usually looks good when I replace that monthly (only $5 to replace these filters).

Most Reactions