Is it a mistake to encourage dancing at this stage?

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
I have continued to ingest more media for the Sir (especially now that I know he's 4.5 months, not over a year).

One of the Bird Tricks videos said that the stuff we interpret as dancing is actually a sign of aggression.

The Sir and I are in the infancy of our non-glass relationship.

I've been kind of bobbing when he bobs. He doesn't squawk or do anything other than go eat or go up to his toy perch.

Is it too early to assume he knows I mean no harm? I'm not giving him treats, just trying to give praise and be present when he does it. Sometimes I'll do it and he'll do it back. Most of the time, he walks off lol (so if it is aggression, I'm not a treat, clearly).

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
One of the Bird Tricks videos said that the stuff we interpret as dancing is actually a sign of aggression.

I think it's probably more correct to say that, Aggression is likely to look to us like dancing. BUT. There are plenty of birdy body movements that are certainly Not aggression, that also look like dancing. Including... well... actual dancing! Also excitement of one type or another.

My own conure uses "full body sign language" to communicate to me; her bobs actually have specific meanings. On the other hand, she loves attention, when safely inside her carrier, and will definitely dance in her carrier just to get attention.

As far as "bobbing back..." I'd say, just pay attention. If you seem to get the sort of response you want, then probably continue. If not, Or if you're not certain about the response you're getting, then maybe back-off the bobbing for now.

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
THere is dancing and there is pacing. Like drinking wine, be choosy what you drink, as far as learning from media.
For sure. Right now, I'm considering it just that bobbing movement up and down. I'm assuming the back and forth pacing is not something to encourage because it has to be his nerves

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
My Emerald rock her head left and right, with her pupil contracted and dilated, when she is contented. And this look like dancing to me. I usually said to her, "what are you excited about? You are so cute." And then she would wrestle with my hand. I alway put her upside-down and her bite to steady herself during such a match is super gentle. I never see this dancing and hand wrestling as aggression.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Conures have such a diverse body language that I'm glad I got to experience.

Conures have this stern pacing and the "dragon/snake" dance where they pin their eyes on you, flat head and fluff up the back of the neck. This is aggression/teritorialness for them. The pacing can mean "This is MY perch!" or "I am SO excited I don't know what to do with myself". The dragon dance is "stay away, look how dangerous I am!"

Bobbing and dancing in conures is fun for them too - so I don't think it's dangerous. Heck, I even taught mine to do the snakey dance on command - I start teasing him, he gets all fluffled up and angry, starts pacing an shouting, but has never bitten me. Mine is so stupidly docile that I can give him a treat and in a second he goes from this tiny little fluffed up terror to a cute fluffed up conure munching away on his treat and continuing doing his own stuff. I don't touch him or press when he's in his agressive mode. He starts fighting his own toys, and I think that's really good as he lets out some anger steam on that, instead of my fingers.

My suggestion is - dance away! Bob out that extra energy! Let the music play!

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
I'm out here asking about if I'm making him too aggressive and last night he crawled up me to get on my shoulder lol. Although, he did ultimately have the ulterior motive if eating my shirt collar. I'll still take it!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'm out here asking about if I'm making him too aggressive and last night he crawled up me to get on my shoulder lol. Although, he did ultimately have the ulterior motive if eating my shirt collar. I'll still take it!
Say goodbye to all your shirts you wear at home! It is inevitable!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sorry, BUT!
You start letting these youngsters flaying, writhing, and such, under the spell of the devil‘s music, you are releasing an abomination into the world! This will awaken evil longings from the depths of hades!
Be warned!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Sorry, BUT!
You start letting these youngsters flaying, writhing, and such, under the spell of the devil‘s music, you are releasing an abomination into the world! This will awaken evil longings from the depths of hades!
Be warned!
Pascal DISAPPROVES!!! The conures WILL and SHALL rule the world!!

Attachments

• IMG20211008104557.jpg
    IMG20211008104557.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 53

Most Reactions