Is it an Amazon thing?

Roxy_9_2011

Feb 3, 2012
Media
Albums
Michigan
Parrots
Roxy-Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Zeus-Turquoise conure, Carlos- YN Amazon & Jazz- GW macaw
Hi! I was just wondering if it's typical for Amazons to enjoy walking around on the ground? Both my YN and my friend's YN like to walk around. Thus it made me wonder if it's a typical Amazon behavior or our Amazons are just dorks lol.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm interested to hear what others say. Buddy won't get on the floor at all. If he can't walk on me or ride my shoulder he flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My BFA and my mom's DYH both like the ground. Kiwi, my BFA, will only go on the floor when put there, but that is due to training him not to. Lucy, the DYH, will go on the floor of her own accord. My moms GCA (same species as Taws Buddy) only goes on the floor to chew newspaper in the spring (breeding season).

I think some individuals like the floor more than others, but it is certainly not outside the scope of normal zon behavior to wander around on the ground.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty don't mind the floor, but he runs over to chew the dog's toy if not chew on the dog herself. He kinda runs away from Mrs Wrench because he knows he can ( she's handicaped). We don't really keep the floor bird safe either so he is closely supervised when he plops down on the floor.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA likes to walk around on the floor. He is always looking for small places to get into/under. I have to closely watch him when he is on the floor.
texsize

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Yep...Amy does a lot of walking on the floor,I don't think she realizes that she has arms to get her about. Because BB can't fly yet.he doesn't have his adult clothes,he walks every where,and Amy is Beeb's best bud,she follows him around like a lost puppy :rolleyes:.

Jim

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
Charlie never used to like the floor, in fact he hated it, but lately he has started following us from the living room to where ever we are in the house. It is funny to hear his little "brr per brr" as he waddles into the room. We do watch him closely though because we have cats also.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Smokey,my TAG, <r.i.p. Smokes :02:> was a major walker,walking down the hall into the kitchen to be where the action was. As she waddled down,she'd run her beaky along the baseboard,for reasons I still can't figure out.
When my friend Mariann and Shainna,her DYH,lived with me,Smokey knew what bedroom Mariann had,and on the way to the kitchen,Smokes would stop at Marianns door,and I **** you not!...would bang on the bedroom door with her beaky,and say "HELLO!", to get Mares attention. Freaked me out on more than one occasion with her intelligence :p <Smokeys,not Mariann's :p :rolleyes:>

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Not unusual at all! Most of my species enjoy walking around and exploring the floor. Partly a natural behavior, but also a sign they are comfortable with their environment.

It does require the human being extremely careful and aware as there have been tragic accidents....

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, bird safe floor also.

However, the most dangerous thing our DYH Amazons faces is my dear wife when she comes up the stairs because someone (guess who?) was yelling: Hey, Hey, Come-Here! There's that specific stair that she comes to when both are eye level. Why You Little ......... And, I'm guessing that you think that was funny ....... both guys in the dog house!

OP
Roxy_9_2011

Roxy_9_2011

Feb 3, 2012
Media
Albums
Michigan
Parrots
Roxy-Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Zeus-Turquoise conure, Carlos- YN Amazon & Jazz- GW macaw
Thank you for the responses! There could be a thread of funny stories when birds walk on the floor I think ;) My YNA doesn't walk around unless I'm watching closely like mentioned, especially cause he likes to get into trouble lol

jcjoyous

Jul 24, 2016
My 7 year old DYH is always getting off his cage and walking around when we are home! His wings are always clipped every 3 months, so he doesn't even try to fly! Last week, for the first time, he walked down the hall, across my bedroom and finally made a noise as he was perched in the opening of the slider that was open to the back yard! He's never come that far looking for me! Good thing he was just clipped a few weeks ago!
His favorite foot toy, a copper bell, is usually his main reason for getting on the ground! As soon as he locates it near his cage, then he climbs back to the top of his cage with the bell in his mouth!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thank you for the responses! There could be a thread of funny stories when birds walk on the floor I think ;) My YNA doesn't walk around unless I'm watching closely like mentioned, especially cause he likes to get into trouble lol

I've noticed my Goffins will occasionally drop to the floor and play games of "chase." They also like to twirl around in circles; when one starts the others usually join in the dance!

jcjoyous

Jul 24, 2016

I've noticed my Goffins will occasionally drop to the floor and play games of "chase." They also like to twirl around in circles; when one starts the others usually join in the dance!
I had a Goffin's with my ex husband (he kept her!), and she was good at sneaking up on me and biting my toes! My ex is blind, and the Goffin's must be aware of this because she plays games with him and stays just out of reach when he tries to pick her up!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
We joke that we need to get a harness but with the leash attached to the top because our amazon would be happy to go for a walk instead of a flight. The problem is that he believes that if his feet touch it, it's his, and then gets territorial.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I had a Goffin's with my ex husband (he kept her!), and she was good at sneaking up on me and biting my toes! My ex is blind, and the Goffin's must be aware of this because she plays games with him and stays just out of reach when he tries to pick her up!

They are really crafty and size up their humans quickly! One of mine is wild-caught but significantly tame. I can only pick her up on her terms! She is skittish when my hand reaches to her within easy grasp, but when I'm stretching to touch her in a high place, or arms between solid objects, she "knows" I can't grasp her!

Most Reactions