Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hens are as chatty as males but they don't softly warble as much as males. Males chirp a lot too but don't "scream" as much.
Not all hens nip but most tame males don't nip. Most males don't chew up everything in sight. My girls chew on soft (pine) wood like ladders and perches until they're shredded but that's because the girls excavate the nest holes. Chewing is a very strong instinct for female budgies.
Oh wow! This changes a lot about what I knew about budgie vocalizations. I was warned of nipping and always heard and read ā€œhens are bullies!ā€ ā€œHens are quiet.ā€ ā€œHens are not ideal if youā€™re looking for a companionā€ from articles, videos, people, etc. this is super cool!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Agreed, Fay chews on wood and paper way more than any of my boys ever have!
Good boy, Rico! They donā€™t necessarily scream because Iā€™m on the phone, theyā€™re just making noises most of the day regardless of what Iā€™m doing šŸ˜….
Cricket is a toy bully! She beats up her sneaker and slams it into her cage and angrily chews the aglets.

Rico is very much a good boy haha
ah that makes a lot of sense haha maybe turn off any background noise that may be on just before the call and once they quiet down, you can make the call, and reward them if they are quiet(er)?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Also, off topic but what in the heck was cricket doing? The water dish is just as full as it was this morning, and the bath canā€™t be it since itā€™s on the left. HOW did she soak her cage paper?
8F6E0EC2-218A-49C7-9FE8-6B4B8740D757.jpeg
Iā€™m very puzzled here

Edit: I was gone for like 5 hours and this is super fresh still.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Cricket is a toy bully! She beats up her sneaker and slams it into her cage and angrily chews the aglets.

Rico is very much a good boy haha
ah that makes a lot of sense haha maybe turn off any background noise that may be on just before the call and once they quiet down, you can make the call, and reward them if they are quiet(er)?
Rocky destroyed her sneaker! She beats up all her toys, too.

Hens can be bullies in groups of budgies. I don't think they are bullies to other kinds of birds.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Rocky destroyed her sneaker! She beats up all her toys, too.

Hens can be bullies in groups of budgies. I don't think they are bullies to other kinds of birds.
Haha I wonder if they make birdie boxing gloves. Crick and rocky would definitely approve!

Ohh that makes sense! Man, all the behavior stuff I thought I knew about hens was either wrong or half right. Well, itā€™s good Iā€™m learning now! Well, thankfully this forum exists and such educated and knowledgeable people are here!

Most Reactions

Latest posts