Is it posible to free flight birds from balcony?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Possible? Yes? Advisable? No. Free flying parrots is really risky and not something you should ever do with your bird unless they are fully & reliably fledged and trained to recall in a variety of situations. Even in the best case scenario, sometimes parrots fly off and are never seen again.

Most “professional” free flyers for this reason only fly their birds in areas with low wind and no tall trees - it makes locating the bird if it fails to recall easier, and ensures that it can’t get too far away from its trainer.

If you’re flying from a balcony I’m assuming this is a multi-unit housing complex, which means lots of places your parrot can decide to land where you can’t retrieve them.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yeah. Totally possible. But NOT recommended at ALL.
You have a great chance of losing track of your bird, even if you insist it’s “well trained”. Your parrot can land anywhere, including very unsafe spots. Bottom line: don’t do it.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
My conure is flight trained, and can be recalled. I have only done this in my house. I don't have a gps attached to her to find her if she were to fly off. I'd be heartbroken if she flew off, and I wasn't able to find her. I would never recommend doing this without some sort of tracking device attached to your parrot. Birds are easily scared off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts