Is it possible to tame a pair of cockatiels?

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
I have a pair of cockatiels, a pair of budgies, and a baby cockatiel
Hi! I'm a new bird owner (though I have experience with chicks and adult chickens), and I recently got a pair of adult Cockatiels from a Dad's friend, because he couldn't keep them anymore. My question was, is it possible to tame 2 cockatiels at the same time, or maybe tame 1 at a time? Or you have to seperate them first, and then tame them one by one? If possible to tame them together, please suggest how to do so!

Thank You :)

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Hi welcome
It is possible to tame 2 cocktails at the same time I had two birds come at the same time I tamed both of them but one bird took a little longer than the other bird I had a bird sky and tofu , sky took 4 days while tofu took 1 week and 4 days but it can take longer, but people say its easier to tame one at a time and it's true but it is possible for you to tame both, tofu my bird is very shy/nervous bird but I still I was able to tame her sometimes it takes days weeks or months or even years to tame birds but it isn't impossible to tame two birds

Method 1: You have two choices you either separate them each in a cage and then when you tame them you can put them in the same cage together

Method 2: Or you can tame both of them in the same cage but il be honest it's a little more changeling You can do 20-30 min sessions 2-3 times a day for each bird or you can do them together.

How to tame a bird: I will leave that to the experts

But this is an informative read

How I tamed my birds:
so it has been a couple of days and I didn't know how to tame them then my dad said to get them out of the cage and let them stay in the living room and don't be in the living room then 30 mins passed and we took a sneak peek and found them on the carpet
pic:
d850c136-64ba-47dc-887a-66f7fecf570e.jpg

then 30 min passed we found them on the cupboards
pic
3148ce48-3859-4178-8e9c-23cb5a46c4d5.jpg

and then ten mins passed and we went out to the living room
I brought millet spray and then sky ate from me but tofu flew away then we let them in the living room and when it was sunset they went in their cage by themselves but that doesn't work for other bird owners because sometimes the bird will stay on a place that we can't reach and they won't come down and it's very difficult to bring them back in the cage that's just how I tamed mine.

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
Hi welcome
It is possible to tame 2 cocktails at the same time I had two birds come at the same time I tamed both of them but one bird took a little longer than the other bird I had a bird sky and tofu , sky took 4 days while tofu took 1 week and 4 days but it can take longer, but people say its easier to tame one at a time and it's true but it is possible for you to tame both, tofu my bird is very shy/nervous bird but I still I was able to tame her sometimes it takes days weeks or months or even years to tame birds but it isn't impossible to tame two birds

Method 1: You have two choices you either separate them each in a cage and then when you tame them you can put them in the same cage together

Method 2: Or you can tame both of them in the same cage but il be honest it's a little more changeling You can do 20-30 min sessions 2-3 times a day for each bird or you can do them together.

How to tame a bird: I will leave that to the experts

But this is an informative read

How I tamed my birds:
so it has been a couple of days and I didn't know how to tame them then my dad said to get them out of the cage and let them stay in the living room and don't be in the living room then 30 mins passed and we took a sneak peek and found them on the carpet
pic:View attachment 40832
then 30 min passed we found them on the cupboards
pic
View attachment 40833
and then ten mins passed and we went out to the living room
I brought millet spray and then sky ate from me but tofu flew away then we let them in the living room and when it was sunset they went in their cage by themselves but that doesn't work for other bird owners because sometimes the bird will stay on a place that we can't reach and they won't come down and it's very difficult to bring them back in the cage that's just how I tamed mine.
Hey! Thank You so much for the info and guidance, really helped me out!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think you can do both together. Plus these guys are bonded , so it would be stressful to separate them

Having them come out of the Cage and working with them can be much easier than trying to do stuff in the cage or at cage door. Set up perches on the outside of the Cage sides and top. Then work with them out of cage.
Feeding treats by hand, many times a day goes a long way to making friends.

May gave you some good info to start.

Would love e to see pictures! Congratulations on your new birds.

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
I think you can do both together. Plus these guys are bonded , so it would be stressful to separate them

Having them come out of the Cage and working with them can be much easier than trying to do stuff in the cage or at cage door. Set up perches on the outside of the Cage sides and top. Then work with them out of cage.
Feeding treats by hand, many times a day goes a long way to making friends.

May gave you some good info to start.

Would love e to see pictures! Congratulations on your new birds.
Here's an old pic, I've had them for a few months but haven't been able to tame them because of studies, but I have time on my hands so I can finally get to it now :)

Attachments

• IMG20220112121936.jpg
    IMG20220112121936.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 95

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Here's an old pic, I've had them for a few months but haven't been able to tame them because of studies, but I have time on my hands so I can finally get to it now :)
Very beautiful!
Hopefully you will have them soon exploring play with toys and whistling and trusting you

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
Very beautiful!
Hopefully you will have them soon exploring play with toys and whistling and trusting you
Thank you so much!!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
They are so cute. They look like my Pippen.
20220608_164728.jpg

Lutino cockatiels look very beautiful.

Have you named them yet?

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Haha, yeah they do.

Also, no, unfortunately I have not named them as of now, if you guys have any suggestions though, you can give em lol
Maybe I should ask big brother, he's good with names.

I'll try think of some gender neutral names.

Left guy looks like a Sparky. I think Sparky would suit it.

Right one should be... Ritardando? My brother once suggested it for another bird on the forum(the bird wasn't name that) but I think it'd work for him. Ritardando is a musical term.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
By the looks of it, I think left guy is a dude, and right guy a dudette. Hard to tell with lutinos though.

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
Maybe I should ask big brother, he's good with names.

I'll try think of some gender neutral names.

Left guy looks like a Sparky. I think Sparky would suit it.

Right one should be... Ritardando? My brother once suggested it for another bird on the forum(the bird wasn't name that) but I think it'd work for him. Ritardando is a musical term.
I'll take that into consideration! Tysm!

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots

Attachments

• IMG20220610110217.jpg
    IMG20220610110217.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG20220610110155.jpg
    IMG20220610110155.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 63

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Aww now those closeups are showing more of their curtness!!!

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
You can't tame birds, any more than you can tame a kitten. They each have their own personalities (parrotanalties?) and they are what they are.

You bond with them. You gain their trust. They reward you with birdie love.
Talk to them softly. Try to get them to step up on your finger. Give them kisses.
The good news is that Cockatiels are very affectionate birds.

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
You can't tame birds, any more than you can tame a kitten. They each have their own personalities (parrotanalties?) and they are what they are.

You bond with them. You gain their trust. They reward you with birdie love.
Talk to them softly. Try to get them to step up on your finger. Give them kisses.
The good news is that Cockatiels are very affectionate birds.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Also I'm aware of this, but I'm just saying that is it possible to bond with both of them, because all of videos and things I've heard are of individual birds, and not bonded pairs, and I'd really like to bond with them and treat them with the love they deserve :)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thanks a lot for the reply!

Also I'm aware of this, but I'm just saying that is it possible to bond with both of them, because all of videos and things I've heard are of individual birds, and not bonded pairs, and I'd really like to bond with them and treat them with the love they deserve :)
All birds are tame-able! I have a small flock of 4 budgies, and while taming isn't easy, mine are all very tame! Out of the 4 I have, 2 were rehomed to petshops with an unknown past (Stormy and Apollo), 1 is presumed to be partially blind (Pepper), 2 are recovering from anxiety disorders (Pepper and Apollo), and the same 2 are still recovering from semi-traumatic experiences.

Point is, all my birds were tame-able, even with all the "baggage" they came to me with. I assure you that your birds are tame-able too! Good luck! :)

Most Reactions