Is it possible?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Is it possible to keep a breeding pair together without breeding them? I have decided I don't really want to breed Sully and Bella anymore because there are so many birds without homes and Sully and Bella just aren't good parents. I can handle hand feeding and breeding its just that I don't want to contribute to the population of homeless birds anymore. It isn't Sully and Bella's breeding season anymore so they are doing fine without the nest box but I want to know what I can do to keep them from breeding so I can still keep them as my companions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Well that would be my last resort because they are so bonded.
Is there anything else I could do because they would hate to be separated.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I've never dealt with breeding birds before, but could you take the eggs and replace them if they do breed without a nest box?

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh! I totally forgot about fake eggs! Thank you so much, that is a great idea and when breeding season comes around I will try that.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
It depends on the pair. With my amazons, I just don't give them a nest box and they don't lay eggs. Once I give them a box, then they have to cycle through and lay a clutch or two for that season. Even if I take the box away once its offered and they are done with the first clutch, they will continue with the second clutch for that season box or no box. If I don't give them a box to start with then its a none issue. I've taken to just letting mine breed every other year.

This has also worked for my parrotlets. My quakers are more hit and miss. Generally they won't lay if I don't give them a box. On the other hand, sometimes when I do give them a box, they ignore it and lay on the floor of the cage. They are horrible parents, so it doesn't surprise me they do something weird. Typically no box no babies though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts