Is It Safe To Have Parrots and Pigeons in The Same Environment?

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi all,

For a while now, I have been the adopter of some disabled feral pigeons. These guys have free roam in a single room in my house, and it's the only room I can spare for them because I have other animals who would eat them given the chance (see: dogs).

Unfortunately, my aunt is getting rid of her severely neglected parrot, and by get rid of I mean is handing him over to me. He's not in the best of shape - I wouldn't say he's ill, but he's been on a poor diet and has been locked in the same cage for nearly 11 years, with little interaction from the household as everyone there hates him and he hates them.

So I already know he's going to be a lot to deal with and come with a whole tonne of baggage. I'm okay with that, I'm used to working with unhappy birds and am happy to take things slow at his own pace. The one thing I can't deal with however, is the risk to my pre-existing pigeons.

Again, I only have one room suitable for my birds to free fly out and about, which means the parrot will have to go in there too. I'm not comfortable with entertaining the idea of letting them out at the same time - a hook bill just isn't worth the risk of a potential fight breaking out, but I know this parrot has had NO other bird contact before in his life. So even if I take intervals and let the pigeons out at one time of the day, and the parrot out the other, will it still be considered safe for them to be in the same room? Would he be at risk of bothering their cage and possibly getting at them through the bars? My aunt refuses to give him away to anyone she doesn't know - he comes with real familial background stuff so he's sadly just been getting passed around the family, so I can't just find him another home as easily as that. I just worry for the potential risk between him and my existing birds. Anyone here possibly have a similar situation and some good solutions to offer?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Im Scared to ask about Mofo?

I'm not sure about pigeon risk.
I know they can get chlamydiaosis because when researching poop pictures I found pigeon with chlamydiaosis poop pictures. Thsts a bacterial infection, and some burds can be hidden chronic sheders of the bacteria but not clinical ( no symptoms )
But that is a risk with parrots as well. And I'm hyper aware of chlamydiaosis as I delt with a flock outbreak from a escape budgie that brought it in...

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

I know they can get chlamydiaosis because when researching poop pictures I found pigeon with chlamydiaosis poop pictures. Thsts a bacterial infection, and some burds can be hidden chronic sheders of the bacteria but not clinical ( no symptoms )
But that is a risk with parrots as well. And I'm hyper aware of chlamydiaosis as I delt with a flock outbreak from a escape budgie that brought it in...
I agree with this. My flock currently has an outbreak of Chlamydiaosis as well. Let me tell you, it's not fun. I personally wouldn't. Also, parrots need a ton of stimulation, so it's need more time out of the cage then the pigeons.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK

Ah you remember Mofu! I find this touching. Sadly only a month or so after my last post of her she lost her life, I just found her dead at the bottom of her cage one morning, she had been loud and cheery the day prior so I missed any signs, it was sad to see her go.

I’m not worried about diseases, my pigeons were quarantined in a rehabilitation site for several months before they came to me - I got them when the rescue team requested people to home their disabled non-releasable birds as they were taking up space for further patients. They’re very healthy and not carrying diseases.

What I’m more inquiring about is the risk of injury. My pigeons aren’t in a bird cage, but rather a dog crate that’s left open for free roaming. So even if I did close them up whilst the parrot was out, he could very easily stick his head through the bars and reach for them. I was wondering if people have had multiple birds housed in a room before and if it’s common for birds who possibly don’t get along to be actively trying to get at others through their cages or not, or if they’re more naturally inclined to leave their cages alone so long as it’s not beside their own. This sort of questioning.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I agree with this. My flock currently has an outbreak of Chlamydiaosis as well. Let me tell you, it's not fun. I personally wouldn't. Also, parrots need a ton of stimulation, so it's need more time out of the cage then the pigeons.
Don’t worry my birds are disease free, they’re just disabled and non-releasable. I’m more than aware of stimulation for birds - it’s a bit cruel to think that pigeons need any less stimulation than parrots, parrots are simply more grabby in that regards, but there’s plenty to do in the room, and he’ll be getting some parrot focused toys for himself too. He hasn’t had a single toy in his environment so I intend to spoil him rotten, pray everything goes well, I just am more concerned about the potential for the parrot to injure my pigeons or decide he has a vendetta against them and tries at them through their own cage.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Don’t worry my birds are disease free, they’re just disabled and non-releasable. I’m more than aware of stimulation for birds - it’s a bit cruel to think that pigeons need any less stimulation than parrots, parrots are simply more grabby in that regards, but there’s plenty to do in the room, and he’ll be getting some parrot focused toys for himself too. He hasn’t had a single toy in his environment so I intend to spoil him rotten, pray everything goes well, I just am more concerned about the potential for the parrot to injure my pigeons or decide he has a vendetta against them and tries at them through their own cage.
Hmm maybe an indoor aviary of sorts could work for him? I agree that doves also need a ton of enrichment, but I think parrots need a tad bit more.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear of sweet Mofu loosing the battle with PBFD. Was so happy and loved with you. Thank you for caring for him.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hmm maybe an indoor aviary of sorts could work for him? I agree that doves also need a ton of enrichment, but I think parrots need a tad bit more.
I don't have the room to make an indoor aviary, extremely limited on space which is the point of the post. Again just looking for an answer on whether it would be considered too risky to have a parrot and pigeons in the same area or if anyone has experience with birds who don't like each other and their responses to being near the cage of the bird they dislike.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don't have the room to make an indoor aviary, extremely limited on space which is the point of the post. Again just looking for an answer on whether it would be considered too risky to have a parrot and pigeons in the same area or if anyone has experience with birds who don't like each other and their responses to being near the cage of the bird they dislike.
I don't think it's very dangerous, especially since the parrot is new, not the doves.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think this us going to be an individual parrot thing. When I've seen feral flocks of parrots they pretty much ignore the pigeons...

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Hi all,

For a while now, I have been the adopter of some disabled feral pigeons. These guys have free roam in a single room in my house, and it's the only room I can spare for them because I have other animals who would eat them given the chance (see: dogs).

Unfortunately, my aunt is getting rid of her severely neglected parrot, and by get rid of I mean is handing him over to me. He's not in the best of shape - I wouldn't say he's ill, but he's been on a poor diet and has been locked in the same cage for nearly 11 years, with little interaction from the household as everyone there hates him and he hates them.

So I already know he's going to be a lot to deal with and come with a whole tonne of baggage. I'm okay with that, I'm used to working with unhappy birds and am happy to take things slow at his own pace. The one thing I can't deal with however, is the risk to my pre-existing pigeons.

Again, I only have one room suitable for my birds to free fly out and about, which means the parrot will have to go in there too. I'm not comfortable with entertaining the idea of letting them out at the same time - a hook bill just isn't worth the risk of a potential fight breaking out, but I know this parrot has had NO other bird contact before in his life. So even if I take intervals and let the pigeons out at one time of the day, and the parrot out the other, will it still be considered safe for them to be in the same room? Would he be at risk of bothering their cage and possibly getting at them through the bars? My aunt refuses to give him away to anyone she doesn't know - he comes with real familial background stuff so he's sadly just been getting passed around the family, so I can't just find him another home as easily as that. I just worry for the potential risk between him and my existing birds. Anyone here possibly have a similar situation and some good solutions to offer?
Ohhhhh!!! My god---I would never, ever, ever put a domesticated parrot and a pigeon in the same cage and environment. It's too damn*d risky. Pigeons are filthy, and they're more likely to carry disease, as well, plus they're not tamed or domesticated.

Most Reactions