Is it safe to shower parrots with semi-cold water before putting him in sunlight?

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Name: Climber, he climbs everything :3)
Blue Cinnamon Conure (he looks like a kiwi, so his name is Kiwi :3)
Painted Conure (Name: Rainbow! :3)
As a young child I've always had parents tell me "don't shower with cold water when you are running a fever" and I understand why.
Now, what about parrots? My dad usually showers my three conures everyday at about 11:30am and leaves them out in direct sunlight at about 12pm - 1pm. Living in Singapore, the sunlight is strongest from 12pm - 4pm unless there was a rain.
They are usually extremely wet when they go out to the sunlight (their feathers are totally soaked with water basically). Is this safe for the parrots to be out in the open sun right after a shower?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Amazon enjoys the Sunshine after a shower. But, he is positioned so that he can step-out of the direct Sunlight if he chooses.

As a general statement, wild birds will bathe and perch in the Sunshine to aid drying afterwards.

Taking a cold shower when one is sick /running a fever places a greater demand on an already stressed body that is fighting an illness. Therefore, it is logical not to take a cold shower when sick.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
But if you are running a dangerously high fever a cool shower/bath can be a lifesaver.
I was sick year’s ago with a temp of 105.5 and used cool baths to lower fever.

That said birds that take a shower with me (Bingo and Bella) get warm water.
The rest of my Fids only take mist baths.
I go against the flow here and just use cold water. My reasoning is this.
The act of spraying the water (turning it from liquid to a fine mist will (I think) lower the temperature of the water anyway.
So to get warm water on your bird you need to start out with hot water and if too hot.....

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you are just spraying the bird that's probably fine, but I wouldn't put a bird under cold water in a shower or something-- you don't want to drench in cold water I don't think anyway--- that is shocking even to a human, and we can regulate body temp a lot better and faster than they can

OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Name: Climber, he climbs everything :3)
Blue Cinnamon Conure (he looks like a kiwi, so his name is Kiwi :3)
Painted Conure (Name: Rainbow! :3)
I mean it's not fully cold because of SG's weather. It's usually just water at around 29 - 30 degrees Celsius (around 84 - 86 F) My dad usually just keeps them out in the sun for the entire 1 hour because they don't really get much sun except for that 1 hour every morning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts