Is my bird plucking??

mocha

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel and 2 budgies
So Iā€™ve started to take note of how my bird is molting and I realized that he makes little screeching noises when heā€™s preening a specific spot and then I find that heā€™s playing with a small down feather in his mouth. He doesnā€™t have any bald spots and he looks relaxed while heā€™s doing it. He also has toys around him. Do I need to book an appointment? Please help!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Can you post images of the spot and/or video of the screeching/preening? How old is your tiel, have you noticed this cycle before?

Difficult to diagnose as plucking without deeper evidence and repetition. If he has not had "well check" in at least a year, this may be good time to consider, covering all bases. Please check this informative thread discussing plucking. May help confirm your theory or put mind at rest! https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/plucking-a-search-for-answers.52217/

OP
mocha

mocha

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel and 2 budgies
Hello! Sorry for replying so late. Regarding my cockatiel I havenā€™t noticed this cycle before, he went through his first molt just fine, Iā€™ve had him for one year, and I just posted a video with the behaviour associated with plucking. I will try to contact his avian vet as soon as possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts