Is there a product...to keep a bird from chewing things

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
First off I found some bitter stuff on amazon, but in the reviews all the parrot owners are like 0 stars this does nothing for my parrot. Makes sense since they eat hot peppers no problem and most other things like those "bugs bunny looking up what the Tasmanian devil eats in a book" cartoons from when I was a kid.

Does anyone know of something that does work, I'd like to spray some wires and an area of ceiling tiles they have found access to.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly a difficult problem as I am not aware of any product that would truly stop a Parrot from choosing this item over that item. Over the Decades the only thing we have found works is providing something the Parrot enjoys crewing even more. The only thing we find that really works is to provide volumes of other things to chew on that are easier to get too and/or chew. With time, they seem to forget about the current chew fascination.

We have found that Bubble wrap placed around or in front of the current chew fascination tends to curve interest.

Last edited:

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
My grandma always used lime juice to keep things from being chewed on. But it kind of depends on what you're trying to keep away from the bird! In our case, it was the picture frame that was slightly next to her cage, just out of reach. Your best bet is to either take the item away from the bird and make it so that they can't get to it, or exchange it for something thats okay for them to chew.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know there’s a spray called bitter apple that I tried to use on my first bird who plucked; but it didn’t work, possibly because she was sick.

It’s sold to keep puppies from chewing on things. But birds have fewer tastebuds so they may not care if you put something bitter on things.

I suppose you could tie a helium balloon to whatever you want the bird not to chew, or put a rubber snake near it? But that would scare the bird so I would not do that.

Most Reactions