Is this hormones?

Vivvy

Jan 23, 2023
Parrots
Nanday Conure
I recently got an 8 month old nanday conure and I genuinely cannot tell if this is hormonal behavior or not. He's been very lightly fluttering his wings, puffing his face feathers and bobbing his head. I haven't been touching anything other than his head and feet. He's also been OBSESSED with grooming my face and mouth specifically and just me in general. He doesn't show any aggression when I hug and touch my husband and he's only really raised his wings as a stretch or what I believe is a greeting. He also screams whenever he's over on his perch even though there are multiple things for him to do there.

If this is hormonal behavior I'd like to know how to correct it.

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
I agree with Owlet my sisters conure kiwi loves to bite my mouth and nose! Get ready for the screaming! At times Kiwi will sounds like a creepy laughing clown!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Much of it is contact calls with a new family. You're talking with your Parrot from the other room is known to help. Stuff like, we are in X room where are you. We are doing X stuff, what are you doing, etc..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right , new bird, new family/flock, new surroundings. He is just settling in and trying to find out the lay of the land, so to speak. As 'Boats said, contact calls, which are how parrots in the wild stay connected to the flock. Try to establish an answer back to his calls, like "I am OK, where are you" and use it every time you leave the room. Add something like 'I'll be right back' or other qualifier for how long you will be. Right now these are meaning less to a new parrot, but I assure you they will become very important later on.

On screaming parrots - please always remember that punishment does not work with parrots, like it might with dogs or horses (forget about cats!). So covering him, spraying him with water, yelling back at him, or other negative attention is not only not going to solve the problem but actually make it worse. Distraction does work, a new toy or other unique object to keep the parrot busy. Singing or whistling to engage the bird. We whisper to Salty when he goes off the deep end and that stops him right in mid scream! Bear in mind, most parrots will vocalize with sun-up or sun-down (ours does not, he gets loud when dinner is being prepared). Pretty much ALL parrots are going to get loud at some point in the day, and that is natural. But plain old boredom screaming is very much treatable.

OP
Vivvy

Vivvy

Jan 23, 2023
Parrots
Nanday Conure
doesnt sound like hormones to me. sounds like a normal

Much of it is contact calls with a new family. You're talking with your Parrot from the other room is known to help. Stuff like, we are in X room where are you. We are doing X stuff, what are you doing, etc..
Could the short flaps possibly be wing beating? I've heard that's something a happy conure does. But I still don't understand the slow nodding of his head along with it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Could the short flaps possibly be wing beating? I've heard that's something a happy conure does. But I still don't understand the slow nodding of his head along with it.
My understanding of Amazon body language is strong, but not with conures. So, once again that will be someone else. You are on the correct track, write it down and watch for behaviors prior to and after and this will allow you to develop what your Parrot is telling you.

Enjoy!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
conures are just weird and have some weird body movements they do when they're having fun. it's not abnormal for conures to bob their head

Most Reactions

Latest posts