Is this normal?

FluffyBlueMacaw

Apr 12, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello! I noticed my female cockatiel having her one eye closed sometimes while the other one is open. Is this normal? She has never done this since I got her in may this year. Iā€™ve also noticed her sneezing quite frequently, which also got me worried. From what I can tell there isnā€™t any discharge coming from here eye/eyes or nose, itā€™s just seems to be dry. Anyone know whatā€™s going on? My other cockatiel is totally fine.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello! I noticed my female cockatiel having her one eye closed sometimes while the other one is open. Is this normal? She has never done this since I got her in may this year. Iā€™ve also noticed her sneezing quite frequently, which also got me worried. From what I can tell there isnā€™t any discharge coming from here eye/eyes or nose, itā€™s just seems to be dry. Anyone know whatā€™s going on? My other cockatiel is totally fine.
Closing or squinting of one (or both) eyes can be an indicator of respiratory infection, so that in addition to the more frequent sneezing that you mentioned would have me putting in a call to my avian vet - as it did when my princess parrot recently kept closing one eye. I'm not sure where you're located or if you already have a regular avian vet that you see, but the following list may hopefully help you find one ...

Hoping your little one will be ok! šŸ’–

Most Reactions

Latest posts