Is this normal?

KiwiDaWeirdo

Sep 9, 2022
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure
I recently adopted a medium sulfur crested cockatoo and I realised his foot has some sort of a abrasion. Is this normal?

Attachments

• E4F9332A-EB79-4C9F-A819-FDE7E23D78AF.jpeg
    E4F9332A-EB79-4C9F-A819-FDE7E23D78AF.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 42313372-18C3-40B0-B9C1-06C0990FB311.jpeg
    42313372-18C3-40B0-B9C1-06C0990FB311.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 62

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It looks like he could have bumblefoot.
I would definitely advise a vet visit to prevent an infection or to treat it is infection is present.

Here is an article with some info.

https://hari.ca/avian-care/health-monitoring/symptoms-treatment-bumblefoot-parrots/

My African Grey had a case of bumblefoot when I got him and an ointment my vet prescribed cleared it right up. Providing the proper perches kept him from getting it again (his previous home only had dowel perches in his cage).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That definitely looks like a hotspot (pressure spot) to me. Does it seem to hurt him? This suggests a problem with perches or a problem with legs and feet.

It might not quite be bumblefoot but that’s the sort of change that leads to infection. Good job noticing this!

My Quaker had a bad leg and I needed to check her feet regularly; she would get hotspots and then an infection. She had lots of vetwrap per perches, and a big variety of perches that she could rest her tummy on and not have to hold with the bad foot.

Dowel perches put the same pressure in the same spots on the feet. This is why it’s important to have a variety of perch sizes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
An Avian Vet visit is well worth your time to provide a precise determination.

As stated above, It does look like a Pressure Point problem that has resulted in the loss of the Pad Surface.
As recommended, changing out the current perches with Natural wood branches 'of size' will help to shift the location of the bodies weight.
Please visit the Amazon Forum and open the Sticky Thread, something like: I Love Amazons -... Look for the Segment that is titled: Getting to the Foot of the Problem. Your will find that Segment informative and very helpful.

Please assure that you visit an Avian Vet to obtain mediation to limit any bacteria .

Most Reactions

Latest posts