Is this territorial/hormonal behaviour?

Connor19297

Sep 24, 2022
Parrots
Pistachio - Green Cheek Conure
Hi,

I have had Pistachio (a parent raised Green Cheek Conure) for just over a week now and have noticed them doing this behaviour at random intervals during the day for about 30 minutes.

They will stand on the perch lengthways and dig their beak into the perch, tail down behind them and poke their wings up a little (it seems quite territorial sometimes but also as if theyre trying to draw you over to mate others)

Is this territorial/hormonal behaviour? It is usually accompanied by a lot of screaming which stops when I come right up to the cage.

Sometimes it seems like theyre wanting attention or scratches (still scared of hands so havn't gotten to that stage!) and stops with some chatting and will take a treat from fingers through the cage. Other times just carries on with some flaps of the wings as if they want me to go away when I wasnt near them to start 😅. Note that I am usually in the same room as them when this occurs, just not right beside them.

Just trying to learn the body languages so I know what is best course of action to take with them.

They also go mental at night time! Will fall asleep in the living room about an hour before I go to bed and as soon as I touch the door they start screaming and flying about like mad 😅 I guess thats just flock behaviour!

PS, I know there are dowel perches at the bottom of this cage but they have 7 natural wood perches in the top half and will get more to replace the dowel ones at the bottom.

Attachments

• 20220924_162119.jpg
    20220924_162119.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220924_162042.jpg
    20220924_162042.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220924_162113.jpg
    20220924_162113.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220924_162141.jpg
    20220924_162141.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 51

Souplahoopla

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hi,

I have had Pistachio (a parent raised Green Cheek Conure) for just over a week now and have noticed them doing this behaviour at random intervals during the day for about 30 minutes.

They will stand on the perch lengthways and dig their beak into the perch, tail down behind them and poke their wings up a little (it seems quite territorial sometimes but also as if theyre trying to draw you over to mate others)

Is this territorial/hormonal behaviour? It is usually accompanied by a lot of screaming which stops when I come right up to the cage.

Sometimes it seems like theyre wanting attention or scratches (still scared of hands so havn't gotten to that stage!) and stops with some chatting and will take a treat from fingers through the cage. Other times just carries on with some flaps of the wings as if they want me to go away when I wasnt near them to start 😅. Note that I am usually in the same room as them when this occurs, just not right beside them.

Just trying to learn the body languages so I know what is best course of action to take with them.

They also go mental at night time! Will fall asleep in the living room about an hour before I go to bed and as soon as I touch the door they start screaming and flying about like mad 😅 I guess thats just flock behaviour!

PS, I know there are dowel perches at the bottom of this cage but they have 7 natural wood perches in the top half and will get more to replace the dowel ones at the bottom.
I'm new to birds so I probably don't know best. But I have to keep my Indian ringneck in an area where I watch TV and my kids pass in the night for the toilet. I always cover the cage by 8pm, 3/4 ways down. So it's dark but light enough for him to perch before I cover him. I drop the cover lower later but always leave a low light. Mine has never made a sound at night all, maybe they're feeling stimulated by the light?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi,

It's hard to tell from just pics but it could be either and maybe both.
Is he making any sounds while doing this behavior?

Where is his cage located? Do you use a cover at night?

Most Reactions

Latest posts