itchy pin feathers

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Hi,

My 7mo male eclectus is still going through a molt. I know that their first ones are usually very irritating and stressful so I try to help with foods high in protein & regular warm showers. He enjoys both but doesnā€™t seem to want me to get them out for him. My conure LOVED it when i scratched those pin feather flakes off but my eclectus (i know they donā€™t rly like touch but i thought this would be bonding and helpful to HIM) does not want anything to do with my hands near his face (he is okay with neck rubs and cuddling just no face touching!!) I wanted to show him that this will make him feel better by just popping one but i also donā€™t want to overstep the boundaries he clearly set. Iā€™ve worked so hard to earn his trust and I donā€™t want to throw it away. (I donā€™t care if I canā€™t pick out his pin feathers but they look SO itchy I just wanna help him out) Any advice?

Also he has been growling more frequently recently, and it makes me rly sad cuz i think heā€™s itchy and I want to help but he wonā€™t let me!!!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Have you tried spray bathes? Using a fine misting bottle works like a charm on my birds, you could try every other day, spray above him and let the water fall down like rain.
Often times when birds bath in a bowl they don't get their heads wet, just their bodies.

You could also try feeding him a little organic unsweetened coconut oil, most birds love it, my GCC adores the stuff! It's a good source and fatty acids and helps with skin and feather health.
I give it to mine about 1-2 times a month.

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Have you tried spray bathes? Using a fine misting bottle works like a charm on my birds, you could try every other day, spray above him and let the water fall down like rain.
Often times when birds bath in a bowl they don't get their heads wet, just their bodies.

You could also try feeding him a little organic unsweetened coconut oil, most birds love it, my GCC adores the stuff! It's a good source and fatty acids and helps with skin and feather health.
I give it to mine about 1-2 times a month.
I usually hold him under the shower where he flaps and shakes etc. and he does purposely move his head into the stream but it doesnā€™t seem to do that much

Oh Iā€™ve never heard of feeding coconut oil. Thank you for your responses Iā€™ll definitely try this !!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I usually hold him under the shower where he flaps and shakes etc. and he does purposely move his head into the stream but it doesnā€™t seem to do that much

Oh Iā€™ve never heard of feeding coconut oil. Thank you for your responses Iā€™ll definitely try this !!
If he doesn't like it plain you could put a little on his veggies or chop. Make sure he has water right there when you offer, my Quaker loves it too, but he wants a drink right after he eats it.
Don't give him too much though, I give my birds probably 1/8 tsp. each, my Quaker is 110g.

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2022
Parrots
If he doesn't like it plain you could put a little on his veggies or chop. Make sure he has water right there when you offer, my Quaker loves it too, but he wants a drink right after he eats it.
Don't give him too much though, I give my birds probably 1/8 tsp. each, my Quaker is 110g.
Ohhhh thatā€™s adorable that they get thirsty after haha. And okay iā€™ll give him about 3/8~1/2 tsp since heā€™s almost 400g. Thank you for ur response zero!!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ohhhh thatā€™s adorable that they get thirsty after haha. And okay iā€™ll give him about 3/8~1/2 tsp since heā€™s almost 400g. Thank you for ur response zero!!
Your'e welcome! šŸ˜Š

Most Reactions

Latest posts