It's A Girl!

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
Found out today that my fid is going to be a girl! Ironically, I really wanted a girl so I chose this username Stephen and Kyleigh. My name is Stephen and my new baby's name is Kyleigh. Today, she is 35 days old.

11905395_10203556096143327_8753986697096643876_n_zpsgpjzjw1c.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations!! How beautiful Kyleigh is with her feathers coming in :) look how big she is already!

ps... I thought Kyleigh was your wife's name lol. Now it all makes sense :D. What would you have done if it was a boy? It might still have worked?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Gosh, Stephen, you must be beyond thrilled to have found out that Kyleigh is a girl! LOOOOVE the name! So happy for all of you!! :)

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Thanks folks! It is much appreciated. I am probably way to excited lol. If I would've had a boy...I planned on begging one of the moderators to let me change my username lol

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Happy news! Kayleigh looks so healthy - you must be thrilled!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Congratulations, Stephen! Kyleigh is darling, look at that sweet face and those bright new baby feathers. You have every reason to be delighted!

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
How exciting! What preparations have you made so far?

I think I am just about prepared. I've got the cage, tree stand, climbing net, toys, her room is parrot proof as much as possible, and I have read as much as I can, asked questions, and have even been handling macaws nearly every day.

The breeder and I have a nutrition plan (idea) for once she is weaned and home with me.

I have decided not to clip her wings, therefore I have money set aside to purchase her harness..

We've already booked her first vet appointment and I have already met the avian veterinarian.

I took off work the week we expect her to be home, but if she isn't ready by then, I can always move the week back.

And if you talk to Birdman666 and JerseyWendy they will tell you that their inboxes are full of questions from me. lol

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
And thanks everyone for the very kind words! I saw her today and she looked just as beautiful as ever.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
We may be anticipating her homecoming as much as you are! How much longer until she's ready to come home?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, Stephen! (I'm Stephen too, btw) You sound quite well prepared. Handling macaws, doing all your research, setting up a nutrition plan, reaching out to macaw experts like Wendy and Mark... I'm betting Kyleigh will find herself in rather capable hands.

Congratulations on your new family member! I'm looking forward to lots of pics!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You'll be fine.

The biggest thing with macaws is getting them out, and handling them. People don't do it enough, and the bird either gets overly excited, or pissey when they do finally get around to it. So, that's a big factor in "problem birds." (The human factor. It's not the bird.)

Socialize them, bite pressure train, set boundaries, and interact with your bird, and you have probably already seen what an amazing companion animal they are by working with your breeder's birds...

Set the boundaries, they pretty much stay that way. Socialize them with people, they pretty much accept people.

Most Reactions