It’s perfectly ok to just have basic communication established with your bird and nothing more

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So I see a lot of people with birds getting very involved with them, and having amazing relationships with them. So I just wanted to come on here and say for the record, having a basic communication and nothing more with your birds is fine.

None of my birds are cuddly, none can do a lot of tricks, none can talk. I do basic handling and cues so I can communicate to them, and I learn their body language (though they make it very obvious what they think about a situation/what they want usually). Therefore, a two-way communication is established. I also do desensitization and recall, which is for their safety and comfort.

I don’t have an amazing relationship with my birds, and I don’t need one. They have their flock, and we understand each other. I respect them and read their body language, and in exchange they have been very forgiving of my mistakes and oversights, and very understanding of things like vet visits, and they do not blame me for such things.

Anyway, that’s all I wanted to say, thanks for reading!
-Oliver

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I agree! I think there's a lot of pressure to build an amazing relationship with your birds, teach them tricks, etc, and while it is very rewarding and helpful, the happiness and comfort of both the bird AND the human should always be the top priority. Just because your bird isn't super clingy or obsessed with you, or doesn't know a bunch of fun tricks, or prefers to interact with their flockmates rather than humans, doesn't mean you aren't a good and worthy parront. There's no one right way to have birds, and it's important to realize that.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I think there's a lot of pressure to build an amazing relationship with your birds
Yes, this was what I was trying to say! It's an unfortunate part of the bird community, but I understand why there is that pressure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts