Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So I adopted my pineapple GCC back in July of 2020, he was 6-7 months old at that time, now he's 13-14 months. I see his hormones coming in more every week, sigh 😞 I had to stop putting paper above the grate in his cage because he keeps trying to go under it to 'nest' I presume, he has the paper only in the tray. He has been a bit more nippy, he was really bad about it when I first got him and I worked with him until he didn't bite unless he was mad, now he's started to bite me more often. I used to stick my fingers through his cage bars and he would perch on them or hang upside down from them, now if I do, he just starts regurgitating. Petting him (only his head) doesn't get him in 'the mood' like it can my Quaker if I pet him ( on the head only) for more than 10 seconds. Nothing in his diet could enhance hormones, so that's one plus. I ordered some avian tea, one for hormones, specifically with raspberry leaves, and one for calming, with calendula flowers, knowing this period was coming up. I guess I just want to know how long does this period normally last? For GCCs? Also what things did you guys find seem to help them through this period?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi. I don't think I can help much, but is his cage half covered throughout the day? if so, that could encourage hormones. Do you have a "bird tent" in his cage? If so, remove it, since not only can they get tangled or eat the fibers and get it caught, even if it is natural, it could encourage hormone. Do you have a lot of toys to one corner that creates a dark, enclosed space? this could induce hormones since it resembles a nest. Is it breeding season? that could encourage hormones. I'm sure you don't do any of these things since you seem like a knowledgeable owner. It's most likely just that time of the year where they go nuts.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Also, any kind of snuggly toys can cause hormones. I saw in another thread you said that you have cupcake liner toy in one of their cages that they like snuggling against. This too might encourage hormonal behavior.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Also, any kind of snuggly toys can cause hormones. I saw in another thread you said that you have cupcake liner toy in one of their cages that they like snuggling against. This too might encourage hormonal behavior.
I don't have happy hut of any kind, way too risky. I only cover my birds cages at night. There aren't any dark corners and he's in a very well lit place. It is supposed to be breeding season for GCCs in the wild in Feb.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think its fine then! just don't do the don'ts ig lol. hang in there, it'll get better after a while.

Most Reactions