its time

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The breeder has posted what birds are available for adoption. I've sent in an email requesting to adopt special needs baby or band #8 or Mike or as I will be calling him, Basil. Now I just wait, please wish me luck!

Heres his most recent pictures, isnt he cute?
624;626;bfd66164fca6570f9cd16200e7d1118347cc3250.jpg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Fingers crossed for you, Owlet! He's adorable. I have a thing for the "special needs" ones. They just make me happy to see them having their best life possible :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I worry that this is much more than an eye defect. It looks like beak and sinus are also involved, as well as over all stunted. Make sure you can handle the added stress of having a poor doer with possible shorter life.

My first GCC had a scared closed nostril , was on the smaller side, and her head had been plucked bald by her mom.....but the looked a 100 times more healthy than this chick.... so just consider everything.

I wish you much joy with whatever new baby is lucky enough to go home with you

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
once he is in my care I will be bringing him to the vet asap to see what my options are and what all is affected
I'm ready for whatever will come and dont worry, he will be in good hands.

Last edited:

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Albeit the well meant heads up from Laurasea, I understand your connection with Basil, Owlet.

As I stated in another thread, I once rescued a wild baby oriole that was born without an eye and was blind of the other. He indeed lived a short life (nearly six months) but we had a thousand moments that last forever... his name was Captain.

Hoping you can have Basil for several years.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
It's official, I've paid for her in full now we just wait until she weans! She was hatched 7/22/2021 and the breeder doesnt send them home until ~9 weeks so I still have some time to prep even though I already have a cage ready

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ohhh so hard to wait!!! Her personality will be so different from your other 2! Once she reaches adult stage you just git know you will have beak communication lol... and they never back down. So be careful with the other birds. Mine have learned to respect Tadahs warriors heart but other species can escalate things. I don't take it personally or big deal out of the million times she threatening to bite, I read her I avoid it , or I move her to a perch. We have a wonderful fantastic relationship. But I could easily be one of the hundreds of posters about biting green cheeks. I don't know why this species is so easily affronted, but they are. But equally cuddling buddies, and clowns..full of so much personality !

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Awwwww, Aster is so cute! Looking forward to lots of updates and pictures :)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'll probably make a thread dedicated to her at some point but I'm very excited. I have her cage all ready and I ordered an aviator harness. I'm going to wait until it's closer to pick up day to get the food the breeder feeds. I also need to get one of those perch scales so I can more easily weigh the birds. I also need a new carrier. i was thinking of getting 2 new carriers. I found one with clear sides, a perch inside, and a tray at the bottom to catch poop that I really like. I hate apollos current carrier because theres no perch in it so she just stands in the poop. And Lincoln has a pak o bird so hes good.

Most Reactions

Latest posts