Jello learned to open his cage.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
My gcc Jello has learned to open his cage. His cage is in the living area and I sleep in the next room over. For the past 2 days, Ive woken up to my lips being bitten with "Goodmorningbird!" screamed in my face.

Any cage locks you recommend? Or anything to train him to not do this? My house is completely bird proofed as I have 9 birds total so its less of a safety concern and more of an annoyance. Hes a velcro bird who I have out 10 hrs a day with an open cage. Hes only closed and locked in from 9p-9a, so Im also worried hes not sleeping too much because he's breaking into my room around 5a-7am O_O Anyway thank u all in advance

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
i feel like it's important to add he is fully flighted lol
My gcc Jello has learned to open his cage. His cage is in the living area and I sleep in the next room over. For the past 2 days, Ive woken up to my lips being bitten with "Goodmorningbird!" screamed in my face.

Any cage locks you recommend? Or anything to train him to not do this? My house is completely bird proofed as I have 9 birds total so its less of a safety concern and more of an annoyance. Hes a velcro bird who I have out 10 hrs a day with an open cage. Hes only closed and locked in from 9p-9a, so Im also worried hes not sleeping too much because he's breaking into my room around 5a-7am O_O Anyway thank u all in advance
Now if you had only been born with an enormous beak, this morning ritual would not be a problem…

I have a clip to hold my Meyers parrot’s door closed as his beak is strong enough to pop the tension-closure door open. I’ve used c- or pear links (like for hanging bird toys) to lock a drop-style door shut in smaller cages.

I suggest not using spring clips but clips that screw or bolt closed to safely secure the cage door. Also, twist ties (like from bread bags) are soft and bendable and toxic when bitten off and ingested.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our DYH Amazon took a very different route after I secured all the openings. He simply disassembled the cage. Shortly thereafter, he earned his full fly /walk about status and I have not had to re-assemble his cage since.

We distract his morning wake-up activities by provided water and dry food on two of his common eating perches. Food is a great motivator for Amazons.

Most Reactions

Latest posts