Jenday has a love/hate relationship with hands

SpinySpino

Jan 6, 2023
Parrots
Mojo- Jenday Conure
As stated in the title, my jenday, Mojo, who I got about a month ago, has a bit of a complicated relationship with hands. He'll let me use my hands pet his head, he can eat or take stuff from them and doesn't have any reaction when they're put near him. The problem comes when I was trying to train him to step up. If he lands on a hand or if you make any gesture to try get him to step up on a hand, he'll go into a panic and start biting until you stop or he is put down. He was handled quite roughly in the past before I received him so I'm thinking that the hand aversion may have come from that. If possible, I would appreciate any tips to manage this or ways to ease him into the idea of stepping up. Thanks in advance!

ShadyCrooks

Apr 24, 2023
Parrots
Jenday - Conure- Vladamore
As stated in the title, my jenday, Mojo, who I got about a month ago, has a bit of a complicated relationship with hands. He'll let me use my hands pet his head, he can eat or take stuff from them and doesn't have any reaction when they're put near him. The problem comes when I was trying to train him to step up. If he lands on a hand or if you make any gesture to try get him to step up on a hand, he'll go into a panic and start biting until you stop or he is put down. He was handled quite roughly in the past before I received him so I'm thinking that the hand aversion may have come from that. If possible, I would appreciate any tips to manage this or ways to ease him into the idea of stepping up. Thanks in advance!
Not sure if your still around. I have a Jenday. He knows how to step up but won’t. So I give him my whole hand or elbow. Just a quirk or maybe previously mishandled.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sorry your thread was missed apart from ShadyCrooks reply!

How has you and your Jendays relationship evolved since this post?

ShadyCrooks

Apr 24, 2023
Parrots
Jenday - Conure- Vladamore

The same for 5 years. He trusts me and I can rub his beak, feet and stroke with 1 finger. 😎

OP
SpinySpino

SpinySpino

Jan 6, 2023
Parrots
Mojo- Jenday Conure

(Late reply woops)
All good!
As for me and my bird, he learned to step up and recall so the hand hate has been solved👍 although im currently working on correcting some nippy behavior he started showing. He can be chilling beside for one second and then the next he decides to twist his head and pinch my skin. It's not a full force bite but startling regardless!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
(Late reply woops)
All good!
As for me and my bird, he learned to step up and recall so the hand hate has been solved👍 although im currently working on correcting some nippy behavior he started showing. He can be chilling beside for one second and then the next he decides to twist his head and pinch my skin. It's not a full force bite but startling regardless!
Well it’s wonderful to hear that you’re making such good progress with him!

My green cheek went through a nipping phase too, I remember how challenging that was.
Target training and trick training really seemed to help him focus his energy elsewhere.

Most Reactions

Latest posts