Jim's kids came home

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Amy and BeBe came home from the animal shelter Thursday. I have to compliment the caretakers on the most excellent care the birds were given.
BB needs a new cage, but for now we built a platform to raise it off the floor. This way I can administer from a wheelchair.

bird cage stand.JPG

First thing I did after feeding them was to let Amy out for a while. Of course he immediately went over to BB's cage -

beebs and amy  home.JPG

Notice I put a ladder from the cage to the floor. Amy basically jumped from his cage to BB's and didn't use the ladder. When I tried to get him to go back to his own cage, he wouldn't hear of it. He ran from the perch stick, and even tempting him with a chicken bone wouldn't get him off. Only when he was ready for bed did he finally get on the stick.

I'm sure they miss their Daddy (brother Jim). Sweet Jesus knows that I do :cry:

BB has been throwing me kisses. Tomorrow I'll let him out of his cage, after I put on some clothes that can be shit on :rolleyes:

Amy has never been a big fan of Uncle David. But today he asked me to scritch his head. The poor bird must be desperate for love. I think we'll get along just fine.

Dave

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh, I bet they are so glad to be back home. I'm sure they miss their Dad too, and they will feel that you are also grieving with them. I'm so glad that they have you, and that you have them.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am so happy to know that they are home:love::love:

I know parrots can grieve and I am sure Amy is grieving for Jim.
I hope you both can find comfort in each other.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome home everyone! My heart beats easier seeing them back home .

A wonderful update!

Amy.......awwww....I hope the two of you continue to grow i. Your relationship.

Beebs! Sweet boy. Kisses to you.

I look forward to hearing about your journey with parrots, David.

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
BB should be easy to win over. Tonite I'll let him out of his cage. I expect him to fly to me and s(h)it on my shoulder.

Amy will be slower to come around. Carrying him on a stick could be dangerous (he doesn't fly). But no more flashing eyes or ruffled feathers, so I think he's about ready.

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Thanks buddy.

I let Beebs out of his cage for the first time last night, expecting him to come to me for some attention. Nope. He flew to the top of the fridge and started Tiel-screeching. If Jim was still here he'd come into the kitchen and take the bird into his bedroom. It was a proven way to get attention from Daddy. I'm in a friggin' wheelchair, and I won't play his little game. After a while he shut up and flew back to his cage. No interaction with me. His loss.

Amy on the other hand puts his head down for scritches pretty much every time I come near his cage. This bird wants love. I'm going to attempt bringing him into my office, where Jim had a perch for Amy to chill on while he played vidiot games. There I'd be able to give him some 1-on-1 attention.

Dave

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It's expected as individuals to deal with loss in their own way. I did have one studie on grieving in parrots, i believe the average was 6 month and behavior could range from acting out ( screaming, calling for, bites) or withdrawal and shutting down lumps on a perch, to seeking comfort and reassurance, probably combining...

So BB calling, and trying old routine....... but that won't be forever...you and he will reconnect and make your own routines.

I've witnessed grief in Ta-dahs two loses, one led to profoundly shutting down, the other to a lot of calls, searching and unease.

Penny rescue was all over the place at first very angry, with times of screaming, lashing out with bites and attacks, times wanting love, so many mornings she would call and sweet talk and then when she saw me look in surprise like I wasn't her person. But her sweetness and or friendship grew quickly.

I feel for you all

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Thank you, Laura. Beebs gives kiss-kiss when I go to his cage, and sings his happy songs during the day. I won't try to change his mood when he's out and about looking for his Daddy. I know that'll come eventually.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I love this whole thread. I love US. Aren't we great? Loving our birds and each other and... and...
It's just a beautiful thing.
YES, totally! I love this community, and I love how we are just such... friends isn't the right word... family. Yeah, we're family.

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
The birds reside in my living room, and typically I'm only there in the evening after work (yes, I'm working from home thank God). That and when I feed them in the morning and maybe if I take a nap on the couch. I've decided that I'll alternate which bird gets to come out of the cage on any given night. I will NOT let them both out at the same time, as Amy has in the past gone into Beebs' cage and he's a royal pain to get out (even for Jim).

Tonight was Amy's turn and he basically just hung out on top of his cage. He did however submit to a lengthy head scritch, so he is getting some affection. I love it when they close their eyes in total trust.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wonderful news Dave! You, Amy, and BeBe are beginning to forge indelible bonds with love and necessity. Jim would be so proud of the trifecta of joy under your roof!

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
The story of my relationship with these 2 birds is unfolding every day. I dunno if it's boring and ho-hum for the forum family or if I should continue to provide daily updates.

Today, 4/4/22, Beebs came out of his cage but just sat on the door perch until I went over and let him get on my hand. That was very rare when my brother was here. He got on my shoulder and put his head down... SCRITCH ME. I complied. He bit my ear (ouch) but wouldn't come around for face to face. Tomorrow is another day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts