Just built new Acrylic cage

cardiak

Oct 18, 2011
Just finished building an acrylic sided 6'x3'x6' cage. Took a walk around home depot trying to find items to create it and ended up practically building it in one of their isles before leaving confident enough to put it together =)

Anyways, it still needs a bit of finish work but here's what it looks like so far

6258852309_b387065ced_z.jpg

6258856667_48f7e654aa_z.jpg

6258861021_d4de000dc6_z.jpg

6258846893_0424b0edef_z.jpg

Last edited:

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Wow! Truly amazing!

I'm nosey...approximate cost for this DIY?

Your birds must love it so much! But my question is...how hard is it to clean up...the floor and such?

Toni

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
It is so beautiful, I too am wondering how difficult it is to clean. I love the looks of it!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
It looks absolutely beautiful...

I can see some of the top has wire, is that to let oxygen to get in? Is the lamp a replacement for sunlight?

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
That's like, a holy-crap-wow job right there. I love that there are plants in it, very tropical. Thanks for sharing. Are you prepared for all the requests for the building plans? :)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
wow that looks great, any plans to put paper or something down on the floor to make clean up easy?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've made one somewhat like that and it cost me around $500. Mine was a bit bigger....

OP
C

cardiak

Oct 18, 2011
Thanks, it still has a ways to go. I still want to add a mid level platform in a corner near the nestbox where they can run around on a flat surface and then hang toys underneath it. A fixed low voltage metal halogen light and a tiled floor.

As for cost of materials to put it together. It ran me around $400 for the (4) sheets of plexi glass, and $200-$250 for the wood, screws, stainless steel mesh, carpet backing and dowels. Though if i was to do it again I would of gotten the thinner plexiglas that cost $54 a 3'x6' sheet instead of $95.

I actually kind of messed up the design halfway through when i found out the exposed 2x4 columns that had the predrilled dowel holes were pressure treated so I kind of paniced but eventually figured a way to cover them using carpet upholstering which actually turned out well since they can climb up and down the carpet wall. As for the floor it was also supose to to be removeable like the full size rolling drawers you see under low lying beds but my lack of carpentry skills had me quit that design early after a few failed attempts. So for now I'll just be tiling the existing floor board and cleaning up with a shopvac.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I was fortunate to have a carpenter partner at that time to help me built it. Too bad I don't have a picture of it to show. But I might build another one for my Malachai. Lory are way too messy to be in a cage....

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I love it! I would love to have one, sounds cost comparable to a large cage, but alot more room.

MikeyTN, roflmao!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Imagine a squirt gun....he shoots everywhere....my partner isn't too thrilled scrubbing off the walls...if its in the glass cage, it would be my job....lol

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I love the setup!!!
I want one, now..
MikeyTN, I've heard about the lory poo. I was thinking about getting one a couple of years ago, but figured the apt office might not like me bringing in feathered juice shooter...they are soooo beautiful, though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts