Just Friends

RLS

Jan 6, 2022
Parrots
Coco (Goffin's cockatoo), Taz (cockatiel), Pumpkin (cockatiel), Argie (cinnamon GCC)
Trying to teach my rescue Goffin's cockatoo that we can be only friends because someone taught him that humans are potential mates. Is the clicking sound he makes when I scritch his head a hormonal thing? Usually a "hug" to the arm or neck, depending on where he is, follows. He hangs his head upside down until his neck and belly are against whoever is holding him, me or my husband, and the clicking sounds deeper in his throat. I've never seen him regurgitate, but my guess is that's the next step. Am I right? (I try to stop him when/before he gets to that point.)

I thought the clicking was an affectionate sound at first and have been doing it back to him until I had the thought that it might be hormonal.

We got him the day before New Years Eve. I'm scared about spring time!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
For now, avoid touching/rubbing hormonally triggering areas such as back, under wings, belly, vent area. Beak clicking quite common with dual nature as ordinary pleasure and sexual attraction/gratification. With experience you'll learn benign forms of physical contact - I break all of the above "rules" with exception of never touching vent and surrounding areas.

OP
R

RLS

Jan 6, 2022
Parrots
Coco (Goffin's cockatoo), Taz (cockatiel), Pumpkin (cockatiel), Argie (cinnamon GCC)
For now, avoid touching/rubbing hormonally triggering areas such as back, under wings, belly, vent area. Beak clicking quite common with dual nature as ordinary pleasure and sexual attraction/gratification. With experience you'll learn benign forms of physical contact - I break all of the above "rules" with exception of never touching vent and surrounding areas.
Thank you! 😊

Most Reactions

Latest posts