Just got my new baby <3!!

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
Hey! I got a new baby yesterday! we saw him at the local shop abt 2 months ago, but weren't sure we were ready for another bird. we thought about it and went in to get some plants for our fish tank yesterday. We saw him, gave each other the look, and we knew we had to get this precious guy!! he is a (I think) lacewing factor, no dark, blue english budgie. please correct me if im' wrong or if there is a simpler name lol. here my baby is! we named him Hendrix, and he has an instagram @Hendrix.thebudgie
does anyone know why his chirps are SO different from my other american parakeets??
IMG_0317.JPG

does he have scaly mites, or is that just crust? also there is some plucking near his rear, do you think he is a plucker or something else? i will make a vet appt. asap if you think it needs to happen. he is on a seed diet, but we let him keep the seeds last night (for transitional reasons), working on mixing in pellets this morning.

PS : I have ZERO intention on keeping them clipped (Bluberry, and Mr. Squiggles are Fully Flighted)

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congrats on your new baby Hendrix! He is a cutie. I would suggest getting any new bird a health check from an avian vet to ensure they are in good condition and establish a relationship with a vet.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I do not have a licenced avian vet within 2 hours of my home, but do have an general exotic vet. I will go 4 hours for my bird, but not for just a "Check up" if yall can understand. if they can diagnose an issue i WILL go 4 hours. but i will take him to the one near me first. i will do almost anything for my birds.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey! I got a new baby yesterday! we saw him at the local shop abt 2 months ago, but weren't sure we were ready for another bird. we thought about it and went in to get some plants for our fish tank yesterday. We saw him, gave each other the look, and we knew we had to get this precious guy!! he is a (I think) lacewing factor, no dark, blue english budgie. please correct me if im' wrong or if there is a simpler name lol. here my baby is! we named him Hendrix, and he has an instagram @Hendrix.thebudgie
does anyone know why his chirps are SO different from my other american parakeets??
View attachment 51596

does he have scaly mites, or is that just crust? also there is some plucking near his rear, do you think he is a plucker or something else? i will make a vet appt. asap if you think it needs to happen. he is on a seed diet, but we let him keep the seeds last night (for transitional reasons), working on mixing in pellets this morning.

PS : I have ZERO intention on keeping them clipped (Bluberry, and Mr. Squiggles are Fully Flighted)
It looks from the picture like a spangle which might be the same as lacewing. Is the cere brown or ble? Looks brownish in the picture in which case its a mature female. If there are scaly mites you MUST get that taken care of because it's very contagious.
Too bad about the severe wing clip. It's hard to tell what you're talking about possible plucking in the rear. Budgies are rarely pluckers. Very pretty budgie!
Please post more pictures!

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
his cere is def. blue! deep blue. it looks like the crust females get when they go broody.. but white. also can someone look at his legs? they are like purple now but they looked red and inflamed yesterday.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
he is so sassy, When i got Mr. Squiggles he came out day 1 and decided to step up. he has yet to step up.. bluberry hasnt ever stepped up

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
English will sound different. From that picture his mutation is sky blue Opaline Spangle.
does he have scaly mites, or is that just crust?
also can someone look at his legs?
Please get him seen by a vet ASAP, scaly mites can and will effect the legs too.
If it is confirmed scaly mites and you haven't been doing a proper quarantine please let your vet know so you can treat all your budgies.
also there is some plucking near his rear, do you think he is a plucker or something else?
If the feather loss is just above his tail please take a quick look at his preen gland and ensure it's alright.

Congrats on your new baby, I hope it's not too long before he's back to full health!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
COngrats on the new addition!

So, re vet visits. One might say that first visit is a VERY important one and should be as thorough as possible, even if the parrot is fine. This will give the Vet a base line to compare with any successive issues that may come up later on. I give my Salty a yearly check up as a part of his birthday present.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
COngrats on the new addition!

So, re vet visits. One might say that first visit is a VERY important one and should be as thorough as possible, even if the parrot is fine. This will give the Vet a base line to compare with any successive issues that may come up later on. I give my Salty a yearly check up as a part of his birthday present.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
im finding him really hard to tame, I let him out of the cage, and entice with millet. he takes a bite or two then flies to the ground and runs for under my dresser/ any dark space... does anyone have reccomendations?

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
im finding him really hard to tame, I let him out of the cage, and entice with millet. he takes a bite or two then flies to the ground and runs for under my dresser/ any dark space... does anyone have reccomendations?
Time, I always say time. You've only had him few days! Took me years of moving at my bird's pace to gain the trust of one of my budgies. Work on positive association with your presence, you means treats. And this doesn't always mean only directly from you, everytime you enter the room drop a treat into a bowl for him or something.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Just move slowly and quietly. Don't chase him. Let him get comfortable with his new environment. It will take a while but budgies are naturally curious and after a while he will feel comfortable and begin to seek out your company. This will take weeks to months, not a few days. After watching you change his food and water every day he will learn that all the good things come from you. You are the source of treats, too. Relax.
Spend lots of time in the room where his cage is with the cage door open. Talk and sing softly to him. When he ventures out of his cage, stay calm, and let him come to you. Again, this takes time. But most budgies will get too bored to stay fearful.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
just went to a Birdtricks Masterclass, overall the best masterclass ive been to. i got to see a timneh grey baby today so that was exciting. Also got to meet a secret project bird :p:p

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Search up on youtube Birdtricks. They host a masterclass for troublesome birds. I went as a viewer just to watch them train the people to help the birds. The do "Project Birds" that is also content on their page

Most Reactions

Latest posts