Just joined!

Harlow

Mar 27, 2013
NW Phoenix AZ
Hi everyone,

I've been snooping around this forum for a few weeks now and decided to join up finally. My name is Melissa and I live northwest of Phoenix, AZ.

My husband and I have our very own zoo - we joke that we can just about charge admission to our house! We'll get to the birds in a minute, but aside from those kids, we have five dogs, eight (soon to be 7, sadly :() cats, a mini lop and a Holland lop rabbit, a 75 gallon cichlid tank, two male bettas (kept separately of course) and I breed and sell crested and gargoyle geckos! With the exception of one dog, one cat and the geckos, everyone has been adopted/rescued. My husband and I are fortunate enough to work from home, so there's plenty of time for everyone - I think sometimes they'd like us to go to work every now and then so they get a break! :)

Our feathery family consists of:
Harlow, my almost 4 year old Congo Grey who happens to be more intelligent than a lot of humans I know, she keeps me on my toes and is a complete joy to have. The rabbits share the bird room and Harlow does her best to keep them entertained, try to teach them to talk (she still hasn't given up hope!) and make sure they have their fair share of treats throughout the day. She's even gone so far as to rename them for me, Sophie is "Phie" and Bentley is "Peanut" as far as she's concerned... :)

Harper, our almost 3 year old Lilac Crowned Amazon who is... corrupt. We purchased her from the same place as Harlow, she was handfed/raised the same and alas, she is a very aggressive little bug. She's good company and a project for Harlow (who spends her days trying to teach Harper to say more than a few things!) but hates my husband and I with a fiery passion.

Emmie, my baby girl, is a 3 month old green Parrotlet. My husband purchased her for me as an anniversary gift. I work from home and spend long periods of time trapped in my home office - Emmie lives in my office and keeps me company. She's such a great bird, learns quickly and absolutely FULL of it!

Chase, our presumed male ~10 year old White Bellied Caique, who we adopted two weeks ago. He was originally the pet of a teenager, she grew up and moved on, mom/remaining siblings were not into giving him as much time as he needs, so they were looking for a home. He is incredibly needy and has no manners at all - they'd let him chew holes in their shirts, never made him be put down, let him run the house as he wanted, etc. I tell people he's the kid that was allowed to eat Pixie Sticks for every meal, wash it down with Mt. Dew and never made to brush his teeth - he's a wild man. He's come a LONG way in just two weeks, hasn't put a single hole in a shirt and has stopped biting me when I try to set him down on a playstand/his cage. He's a project, but an incredibly affectionate playful guy. He keeps Emmie and I company for a bit each day in my office as we work on learning some manners!

And last but certainly not least, Tess, our Meyers. She literally just arrived last night after making a cross country flight from her breeder. My husband has wanted a Meyers for over five years, after looking and looking I realized finding one locally wasn't going to happen and started researching breeders. I was fortunate enough to reserve Tess, who was the last baby available! For a bird who was just weaned, flown across the country and moved into a new home, she is incredibly well adjusted and friendly! We're really looking forward to getting to know her and my husband is glad to have a bird of his own finally. As I'm the primary bird caretaker, he gets the cold shoulder a lot of the time! I'm trying to be hands off with Tess for a while with the hopes she'll bond to my husband as well.

So - that's our family! They keep us busy, but incredibly fulfilled. Keeping up with everyone seems like a full time job some days but I wouldn't trade a single one of them for the world. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and the chance to learn and share more about our feathery kids.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
hello.gif
and welcome to the forum:)

You have quite a flock there.

We would love to see pics of them all:)

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
You do indeed have a zoo! I can understand. I've always loved critters and at times have had quite the houseful! Right now I have 3 Eclectus parrots and 3 small dogs and am trying to hold the status quo. Two nights ago a friend of my husband called and asked if he could bring his grandchildren over to our house to see the dogs and birds. For them it was just like a trip to the zoo!

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
:23:Welcome!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum, sounds a bit like my house, LOL.

Most Reactions