Just Me and my beautiful bird

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
As I have mentioned in a few posts, junior is approximately 25 years old. I acquired him in october 1998 but he came from another owner who really didn't put any effort in figuring this bird out and what is required to own one. He has been a great companion over these 2.5 decades.

Attachments

• junior.JPG
    junior.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Beautiful bird and your my hero......

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Congrats, Senegals are a handful, literally and figuratively.
Tel me about it! My Senegal Sidney has been an ongoing adventure in learning patience. He was in a similar situation as Junior when I adopted him. Spent the first 5 years of his life with very little interaction sitting in his cage on a porch in south Florida until I adopted him in 2013. Like Junior, he is a great companion even with his stubborn & willful personality. His cuddle times are some of the best I've had with any of my birds.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
As I have mentioned in a few posts, junior is approximately 25 years old. I acquired him in october 1998 but he came from another owner was really didn't put any effort in figuring this bird out and what is required to own one. He has been a great companion over these 2.5 decades.
His eyes match his feather color perfectly.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Wishing you many many more!!

OP
junior98

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
Tel me about it! My Senegal Sidney has been an ongoing adventure in learning patience. He was in a similar situation as Junior when I adopted him. Spent the first 5 years of his life with very little interaction sitting in his cage on a porch in south Florida until I adopted him in 2013. Like Junior, he is a great companion even with his stubborn & willful personality. His cuddle times are some of the best I've had with any of my birds.
Absolutely. When i hear about other folks and their interactions and what he and I get about doing.. I wouldn't trade give him up. He loves to put his neck against my face, totally fluffs up for me. Shows me and fluffs his area above his tail (which reminds me of a lobster)... does his waddle dance and head bobs... Yea he requires more patience initially first thing in morning but then becomes his normal self... My only issue is... he is a baby when it comes to simple things. I grabbed a soft wood file (nail file) to see if I could do his beak, and the mere touching of his beak sends him into freak out land... He's lucky he doesn't get trimmed and cleaned by a bird tech with their dremils! I GRAZED his beak with a soft nail file and he flipped out...

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. Jasper gets very wound up about little things like me picking up a newspaper (to catch poops), me sneezing, coughing, wearing hair in a towel. I have been working to keep our interactions very predictable and calm so he has no reason to freak out and bite. But I will need to cut his nails and trim wings sometime and he gets sooo upset about that.

Now that I accept that we must sit calmly and not move around, I am getting bit much less. That makes me happy. Because a Meyers parrot bite is easily a bad bite with a big sharp beak.

Last edited:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Absolutely. When i hear about other folks and their interactions and what he and I get about doing.. I wouldn't trade give him up. He loves to put his neck against my face, totally fluffs up for me. Shows me and fluffs his area above his tail (which reminds me of a lobster)... does his waddle dance and head bobs... Yea he requires more patience initially first thing in morning but then becomes his normal self... My only issue is... he is a baby when it comes to simple things. I grabbed a soft wood file (nail file) to see if I could do his beak, and the mere touching of his beak sends him into freak out land... He's lucky he doesn't get trimmed and cleaned by a bird tech with their dremils! I GRAZED his beak with a soft nail file and he flipped out...
If there was anything that I would modify about Sid if it was possible is his reaction to certain objects. He has anger management issues, I suppose. His first impulse is to attack. If the object has any negative impression with him it becomes an enemy forever more. Unfortunately this includes the spray bottle that I would like to use to mist him occasionally. Not long after I adopted him I tried to introduce him to it. But he went insane as soon as I sprayed a mist over top him to let it drift down. He went into a full attack mode. He jumped at the bottle and latched on biting anything that he could. Ever since that day if he even sees a spray bottle he wants to attack. If I tried to nail file his beak I'm sure I would end up bloody. His beak hurts! I'd rather get bitten by my two larger blue crowns any day. If I had a choice.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
LOL - parrots bite. End of story. But if you 😇 "Know Thy Parrot"😇 hopefully these are few. Salty, while much milder (and smaller) then the hot 3 'zons, still has a temper, and needs to be profusely apologized to for transgressions or look out!

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
Ha, yeah Senegal parrots are a lot of fun, my sennie does have a little bit of that negative reaction towards new things especially the spray bottle like Jamesc was saying, I find it helps if you can teach them “touch/target” I started this with a target stick but if he was scared of something I would get him to go over and touch it then he would get a treat relating that item with treats! You could try that with the nail file? Any way as much work as they are they totally make it up too us! Percy is a comedian always laughing at the perfect time😂 and he can be a little love bug🥰 (when he wants)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Jasper is slowly becoming more affectionate and less reactant about new things. I have him out on my hand now. I let him get down to eat some avicake crumbs from a newspaper and he started tearing up the newspaper, then tried to tear my quilt.

I asked him to step up and he got really puffy but did not bite! He has been finding cardboard boxes to chew up. Uh oh.

CC1D9F81-1240-46DA-88DC-F3B7A88A351B.jpeg

Last edited:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Ha, yeah Senegal parrots are a lot of fun, my sennie does have a little bit of that negative reaction towards new things especially the spray bottle like Jamesc was saying, I find it helps if you can teach them “touch/target” I started this with a target stick but if he was scared of something I would get him to go over and touch it then he would get a treat relating that item with treats! You could try that with the nail file? Any way as much work as they are they totally make it up too us! Percy is a comedian always laughing at the perfect time😂 and he can be a little love bug🥰 (when he wants)
Seems that Sennies have perfect timing with laughing. And some other noises. Sid will always make me bust out laughing when he laughs at something with timing that almost makes it seem like he knows what he was laughing at. Also, if something negative happens he makes a fart noise. Always a source of laughter for me.

Most Reactions