Just moved... Need advice.

Munkys

Jul 1, 2011
CT
Parrots
Meiko, 9-year old Moustache
Hi everyone! I'm usually just a lurker here, but I'm in need of a little advice. Let me start off by saying, before i get into it, that I do not want to start a debate...

So we just moved to a new apartment. Meiko's doing pretty good. Doesn't seem too stressed with me, but starts screaming on occasion when my boyfriend walks by, whom he's lived with for about two years now, so I'm thinking he's only slightly stressed from the move. He's always been a shaky flyer, (due to past living situations he wasn't able to get as much out of cage time as he should for his own safety). I would prefer to keep him flighted, however, without going into the full layout of my apartment, it would be dangerous for him... As in I can easily see him crash into a wall and drop 10+ feet down a staircase that we can't block off (we're on the third floor of a three family house). So essentially, I need his wings clipped for now. My question is, when should I clip them? I don't want to add more stress to him, we only moved in a week ago, but would clipping them add stress? Should I wait another week or two? Or would it be fine if I just did it now? I appreciate any advice. :eek:Thanks!

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
yes wingtrim do stress. Maby some one else than you could do it. If possible wait some week or so

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hi everyone! I'm usually just a lurker here, but I'm in need of a little advice. Let me start off by saying, before i get into it, that I do not want to start a debate...

So we just moved to a new apartment. Meiko's doing pretty good. Doesn't seem too stressed with me, but starts screaming on occasion when my boyfriend walks by, whom he's lived with for about two years now, so I'm thinking he's only slightly stressed from the move. He's always been a shaky flyer, (due to past living situations he wasn't able to get as much out of cage time as he should for his own safety). I would prefer to keep him flighted, however, without going into the full layout of my apartment, it would be dangerous for him... As in I can easily see him crash into a wall and drop 10+ feet down a staircase that we can't block off (we're on the third floor of a three family house). So essentially, I need his wings clipped for now. My question is, when should I clip them? I don't want to add more stress to him, we only moved in a week ago, but would clipping them add stress? Should I wait another week or two? Or would it be fine if I just did it now? I appreciate any advice. :eek:Thanks!

Any chance you can get something like those bird friendly beaded curtains which stop frightened birds from blasting out of doors? Mabe you could put them up at the top of your staircase so if he did try to dart down, he'll hit the beads and be made to stop, rather than crash down the stairs. :)

OP
Munkys

Munkys

Jul 1, 2011
CT
Parrots
Meiko, 9-year old Moustache
Thanks for the info from both of you. I appreciate it. =)

Well, our "fire escape" staircase has a door we just have to get from the basement, so that's one staircase down. Unfortunately, the other staircase in the living room is wide open. There's no actual doorway from it, and the wall bordering the stairs is only about 3 ft high, so curtains wouldn't work. I only want him clipped for a little amount of time to get him used to the entire apartment, to start training him again, and so he can start getting bonded to my boyfriend now that it's just the two of us. I'm hoping after one or two clips I'll have the basics of clicker training down so that I can start working with him when he is flighted and be able to have him fly to me.

Most Reactions