Kakariki losing feathers

Fili339

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
Kakariki
Hello,
My name is Filip, I am new here. I live in Croatia and my wife an I got a female buttercup kakariki 1 month ago. Her name is Kokica (in Croatian it means both popcorn and little chicken :) ), she is around 7-8 months old.

In last week we noticed feather loss, mostly around her neck and head.
I did some research and sicne there is no avian veterinarian close to us, I'm asking for help and advice here first.

I will post some photos so you can see how it looks. We didn't notice any significant changes in behaviour, but in last few days there were a lot of fallen feathers in the cage. She is playful as always, loves to come out of cage, eats normally. We feed her usual seeds, and every other day an apple or carrot.

I found a couple similar threads on forums with same symptoms, but no answer what causes it.
Does any of you had this issue with Kakariki and found out what causes feather loss? Is it normal when molting or is it something else?

IMG_0823.jpg

This is her, photo is taken yesterday. When she is dry, feather loss is not very visible.
IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

This is her after a bath.

I read some articles, and they say that most common causes are molting and mites.
It says that some kakarikis have agressive molting and loses some feathers, especially buttercup kakarikis.
On the other hand, they can lose feathers when they have mites.

Thank you in advance.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
You should get her off the seed diet onto a chop diet (some seed is ok). Are you sure there's no vet near you? By near, I mean less than 3 hours away. I personally have to drive 2hrs or more (depending on traffic) to get to my vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts