KAKARIKI - which gender to choose

Jenny93

Dec 27, 2020
Hi all,
I'm totaly obsessed with parrots! I started with one and now I'm about to get a 5th one. I have 2 conures and 2 budgies. I'm going to get a kakariki this saturday, but I don't know which gender to choose.
I built big cages for all my parots and I have a separate cage for the kakariki, but my intention is to try housing it with my budgies as it will have more space this way and I think they'll love it, because they're super energetic as well. I let them out twice a day every day. I've seen many people housing them together and I have a space for it if this doesn't work out so that's not the problem.
I just don't know what gender to get. From my experience the female parrots are always a bit more bossy and nippy and the males are more outgoing and friendly, but I don't know if that's the case with this species as well. I know it depends on the individual bird, but the breeder said the same thing and joked it's the same with people haha. He has 13 babies, so I'll have a lot to choose from. I just want to know what's their personality and if there are some gender specific traits I can take into account.
Please share your experience and help me choose the right one for me. :green1:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
G'day Jenny

Kakariki's are great littles birds and should do well with your budgies! Many good mates of mine keep Kak's with a big variety of parrots including budgies, cockatiels and various grass parrots (Neophemas) and do extremely well with them with no problems whatsoever. A male will be the best in regards to the gender you choose in my opinion, they are always on the move and yes they are much more friendly and chatty compared to females. Males also will mix better with your budgies when the time comes!

OP
J

Jenny93

Dec 27, 2020
G'day Jenny

Kakariki's are great littles birds and should do well with your budgies! Many good mates of mine keep Kak's with a big variety of parrots including budgies, cockatiels and various grass parrots (Neophemas) and do extremely well with them with no problems whatsoever. A male will be the best in regards to the gender you choose in my opinion, they are always on the move and yes they are much more friendly and chatty compared to females. Males also will mix better with your budgies when the time comes!

Thanks for the great answer. I was thinking the same thing, but what concerns me is that the female budgie is much more energetic and outgoing with other parrots and the male is more docile and chill and when my conure tries to attack him (first few times I let them out together, didn't work out so now they fly separately) he just flew away and tried to keep his distance. The female kept coming back and didn't care very much. I was worried that if I get a male kakariki the male budgie could feel supressed. I was thinking that if there are any conflicts it's more likely to be with birds of the same sex and that the female budgie looks like she can take care of herself, but don't know if my thoughts are reasonable in this scenario. On the other hand she doesn't know better and doesn't get the message if someone has had enough which could cause issues... I don't know what would be best..

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
They should be ok, just slowly introduce them together and if that doesn’t work out (which I doubt) you’ll have to just separate it

Most Reactions

Latest posts