Keeping a t-perch from spinning?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am making Kiwi a new t-perch at my husbands insistence (who hates Kiwi's swing-style perch:rolleyes:). He hasn't had one in a few years but I remember both t-perches he had prior to this, the top of the "T" always spun after a while and I could never figure out a bird-safe solution to stop it. This was also the case with t-perches my mom made her birds. In fact the female amazon thinks it's great fun to sit on one end of her perch while flapping as hard as she can so she spins in a circle like she's on a birdie carnival ride:eek:

Curious if it might be ok to run a little Elmers school glue (the "non-toxic" stuff) in the screw hole and underside where the "T" meets. I know wood glue would be more ideal but I don't believe they make any kind of "non-toxic" wood glues. Obviously, I would be very neat with application and keep any glue residue well out of reach. I'm assuming it would probably be ok since he wouldn't really be able to get to it and doesn't chew up perches and I'd be using a glue safe for use by children. Any thoughts about the safety of doing that or alternative ideas to keep it from spinning? Thanks.

P.S. Yes I know to only use stainless hardware for assembly:)

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
A few pics of what you currently have would help some.
I'll offer up a suggestion assuming the vertical and horizontal pieces are round shaped.

At the very top of the vertical part (with the horizontal part removed), try to cut a "V" groove for the horizontal part. It doesn't have to be a large cut. Essentially forming a cradle to prevent it from spinning. A SS screw can be inserted from the horizontal part, into the vertical part, locking the two together.
It would be best if you can countersink the screw so Kiwi cannot get to the head of it. Also be careful to use a proper sized screwdriver and check the head of the screw for any sharp edges after tightening.

I hope this suggestion will be of some help.
If you have any other questions, we will do our best to offer some suggestions.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The good folks from Elmers (school glue) also make a wood glue that is near the same formula as the white school glue. Only difference is that it dries just a bit faster. If you have the Elmers school glue, use it. Not quite as strong, but will do the job. Either can be used to provide a fix for a striped wood screw and also in drywall.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So I did run a little Elmer's glue into the screw holes/under where the "T" pieces meet. Hopefully that'll keep them from spinning in the future.

On a side note, I built the t-perch but not the play gym to go around it (I'll do that this weekend). I also disassembled the birdcage stand and swing so I could put our other sofa side table in that space for his new tabletop gym setup. So there he was sitting on a toyless t-perch on a table with nothing to do or climb on. Not even sure he could get off the t-perch. He looked SO dejected:( Not sure if other species do that, but amazons really have a good "sad puppy dog" look about them to make you feel maximum guilt over such infractions as taking their window play space away and replacing with a stupid t-perch:green::mad: He'll sure be happy when I add the gym that will sit over the t-perch! Then he can look out his window while playing again:) I also came up with a clever and cheap solution to protect the top of our nice wood end table from beak marks;) Stay tuned...

Most Reactions