Keeping IRNs in Outdoor Aviary

EnchantmentAvians

Aug 14, 2022
Parrots
None currently
I kept a group of 3 chickens from the same clutch for a long time, but at the beginning of this year they finally just got too old and sadly passed away. I still have the aviary that they were kept in, so I would like to repurpose it. I have been considering keeping a bonded pair of Indian ringnecks in the aviary, but I am wondering if it's large enough for permanent housing. The aviary is 7.5ft wide x 8ft deep x 6.5ft tall. I do not have much pet experience with parrots, more just from volunteering at bird rescues, so it would be a great help if someone could tell me if this is a good permanent housing size for a pair of ringnecks. Also, if anyone was wondering about this, yes, I do live in a comfortable environment for ringnecks to live outdoor year round, so that won't be an issue. Thanks in advance!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Using the existing structure is likely a very bad idea as the construction likely involves chicken wiring (fencing), which is coated with a heavy metal that would be deadly to the Parrots. Also, with the recent major scare of Avian Flu, keeping Avians outdoors would be problematic as we enter the Fall migration.

IMHO, commonly, one keeps 'Companion Parrots' with the Human family, indoors. But that is just me.

OP
EnchantmentAvians

EnchantmentAvians

Aug 14, 2022
Parrots
None currently
Thanks, I will consider that. I would be able to remove the mesh and then use a heavy duty hose to clean off the frames, but I agree with you on the avian flu part. If I do end up getting some ringnecks, I will keep them inside, at least until this outbreak passes over.

Most Reactions

Latest posts