Keeping multiple Pionus species or m/m f/f together

matt_ger

Feb 17, 2023
Hey, maybe someone can help me out because I couldn't find any information on this: I got the info that pairs of male/female tend to get along better than two of the same sex. What is your experience in this matter? Does this still hold when keeping different Pionus species together e.g. bronze-winged and blue-headed Pionus? In case of male/male the species barrier should be an advantage since they are not even "competition". Is that even a good idea or should they be strictly kept with birds of their own species?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Co-habing parrots is a matter of the individual birds, but some species have a better chance of getting along, cockatiels and budgies for example.
As far as same/opposite sex pairs, it seems that males tend to get along better than opposite sex pairs.
Females in many species is not a good idea, as they are territorial and could fight.
Opposite sex pairs probably have more of a chance of succeeding, but I don’t own a pionus!
Maybe other Pi owners can chime in?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My White-capped Pionus was female, and my Blue-headed Pionus sex is unknown, but we're pretty sure he is male by his hormonal behaviour.
They absolutely despised each other, and stayed as far away from each other as possible.

However, all birds are individuals so others will have different experiences.

OP
M

matt_ger

Feb 17, 2023
Thanks for your replies. So what would be your recommendation? Same species and not two females?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Honestly? unless you find a pair that are already prebonded, I wouldn't cohabitate.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't have any Pionus.

But there is a lot of information that is needed and only you really know your bird.
How old is the bird ?
How long have you had him/her?
What's their temperament?
At this point are you thinking of getting two together?

If you have a young bird 1 year old or so bringing in a new you bird might work.
If you have had your bird for 4/5 years it's a more difficult issue.

I had two male cockatiels that lived in the same cage for 4/5 years and then they just started fighting one day. can't put them together for even a minute.

There is a woman on YouTube that has multiple Pionus. Perhaps you can get hold of her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts