Kind of parrot related, kind of not

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
This is probably the weirdest question Iā€™ve posted here and I donā€™t really think anyone will have the answer but Iā€™m not sure what else to do.

My Quaker, Rainy, lives in my home office, which is connected to my bathroom. Iā€™ve noticed for quite sometime now that most mornings when I come in to uncover her for the day, the room smells just like stale cigarettes. Yep, stale cigarettes. My husband and I are the only people that live here, and we quit vaping earlier this year. Neither of us has smoked in years, and even if we did, we would NEVER NEVER NEVERRRRR smoke in the same room as Rainy.
Weirder yet, I only notice this smell in the morning. I want to know whatā€™s causing this, especially if it might be bad for her. Itā€™s not something thatā€™s been here since we moved in, I only noticed it a month or so ago. Any ideas??

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is probably the weirdest question Iā€™ve posted here and I donā€™t really think anyone will have the answer but Iā€™m not sure what else to do.

My Quaker, Rainy, lives in my home office, which is connected to my bathroom. Iā€™ve noticed for quite sometime now that most mornings when I come in to uncover her for the day, the room smells just like stale cigarettes. Yep, stale cigarettes. My husband and I are the only people that live here, and we quit vaping earlier this year. Neither of us has smoked in years, and even if we did, we would NEVER NEVER NEVERRRRR smoke in the same room as Rainy.
Weirder yet, I only notice this smell in the morning. I want to know whatā€™s causing this, especially if it might be bad for her. Itā€™s not something thatā€™s been here since we moved in, I only noticed it a month or so ago. Any ideas??
we had some difficulties with umā€¦.. for lack of a better word ghost years ago.

detecting localized odors was one of the first things we noticed.

not saying that is the problem but throwing it out there.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Did you happen to get her cage second hand? Lincoln's old cage was covered in this black greasy stuff and despite my best efforts could never get it off. It wasn't until much later that I realized it was likely tar from smoking.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Did you happen to get her cage second hand? Lincoln's old cage was covered in this black greasy stuff and despite my best efforts could never get it off. It wasn't until much later that I realized it was likely tar from smoking.
Nope, bought it brand new!!

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
we had some difficulties with umā€¦.. for lack of a better word ghost years ago.

detecting localized odors was one of the first things we noticed.

not saying that is the problem but throwing it out there.
This is an interesting answer. We did have some weird things happen when we moved in here and it was vacant for years before we started renting it. Hmmm

EllieTheConure

May 9, 2024
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Is there a window in the room? And if so is it half open/not securely closed? Maybe the neighbour smokes and it wafts into the house

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I don't have any help, I just think your crossover quaker is cute as hell like mine.

Most Reactions

Latest posts