Kirby Update~

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hi all!

Kirby is 32 years young this year. He goes in for his yearly in December, but has been getting draws for testing his liver values every 3 months, as his weight loss has resulted in his body producing too much bile. The vet has had him on lactulose/silymarin & as a result we've seen gradual but significant improvement on those numbers! :) He also takes a cardiac supplement, and we're waiting to see if the vet wants to do another ultrasound to check to see if the arterial hardening has stabilized (not sure if that's something that can improve).

He is down to 450 grams. He started at 530 when we got him, plateaued at 480 for a bit, but finally we are seeing that number start to go down again! All of the skin fat deposits are gone. He can say "Hello!" "Kirby", and "bless you", as well as barking like a dog and grumbling like, well, an Amazon!

He has taught his baby cockatiel brother how to say hello too! I assume this recent development is his fault anyway, as Cricket says "Hello" just like him. :)

He finally finishes all his veggies, even his least favorites, like broccoli or leafy greens. He loves his tree, which is now by the patio window in my office. He has officially been with us for two years as of the end of September, and I am so glad we took a chance on him! It was really scary with his weight and health issues at first, but we all really love him and he was so worth it. We hope we have many more years with him!

Obligatory photo of him, screaming at the top of his lungs while I'm in a video conference for an online class :poop:

IMG_1727.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Deep respect for addressing Kirby's chronic issues in positive manner! Your efforts will prolong longevity, increase quality of life. Great job!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When I saw the topic I immediately thought of Rival lol..oh no! What happened to him????
Happy to read that YOUR Kirby has improved! Amy is also on heart meds,has a slight blockage in one of his arteries. His CAV says they dont make stents small enough for him :( With us humans we take blood thinners,with fids they give a med that widens the artery<s>
I hope Kirby keeps up the good work and thank you Ravvlet for taking him in and loving on him so much!
BTW I just love the picture! Just by his posture I can see Kirby is giving all that he has lol.
Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanks for the Kirby update! Really heartwarming to read of all the care and love lavished upon him. And that picture!! You can immediately tell he is putting his all into that screaming session ( and not all such sessions are a bad thing - an Amazon that does not let loose at least once a day is a concern!). Salty has 2 every day; one when Geri is preparing to let him out of his cage to get his lunch, and when she is preparing our dinner.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thanks for the Kirby update! Really heartwarming to read of all the care and love lavished upon him. And that picture!! You can immediately tell he is putting his all into that screaming session ( and not all such sessions are a bad thing - an Amazon that does not let loose at least once a day is a concern!). Salty has 2 every day; one when Geri is preparing to let him out of his cage to get his lunch, and when she is preparing our dinner.
Al...Amy has never screamed..I mean NEVER! Should I be concerned? lol
Oh...he'll scream if the beebs chomps on his toenail if Amy is on his roof top :censored:

Jim

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Al...Amy has never screamed..I mean NEVER! Should I be concerned? lol
Oh...he'll scream if the beebs chomps on his toenail if Amy is on his roof top :censored:

Jim
Poor Amy!!! What did he do to deserve those nips from BB? :(

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Poor Amy!!! What did he do to deserve those nips from BB? :(
Skarila...Amy is obsessed with BB. If BB is in his house Amy will climb to BB's roof top,destroy his toy's, munch on the end of his perches,he chewed a perch so much he made it fall and Beeb's was sitting on it making him fall to his basement floor! Amy won't leave BB alone.I Don't blame BB for chewing on Amy's toe's/nail's.

Jim

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Skarila...Amy is obsessed with BB. If BB is in his house Amy will climb to BB's roof top,destroy his toy's, munch on the end of his perches,he chewed a perch so much he made it fall and Beeb's was sitting on it making him fall to his basement floor! Amy won't leave BB alone.I Don't blame BB for chewing on Amy's toe's/nail's.

Jim
Hahah, are Pascal and Amy somehow distant relatives? All is clear why Beebs resorts to the toe nipping 😂 it all sounds way too familiar!

Most Reactions