Leaving birds unattended during vacation

OP
Cardinal

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Unfortunately the situation still exists here too that the smaller parrot species are simply not as valued as they deserve to be. Quite some years ago now our then budgie, Pete, developed gout. He recovered from that but later went on to contract testicular cancer. We estimate that we probably spent at least $2000 or thereabouts on his veterinary care and we lost count of the number of times people remarked “It’s just a budgie, why don’t you just wring his neck and get a new one?” There will be any number of households in our supposed “enlightened” society where exactly this is still happening right now, but like I say, not in my house. Sweet little Pete is long gone but it was on his terms, he let us know when he had had enough. And I no longer associate with anyone who suggested that his life held such little value!

Well in economic terms it may actually make sense. 2000$ is a lot of money. Forest guards in Africa and India who are risking their lives protecting Wild Elephants and Rhinos and Tigers in India probably make 2000$ a whole year.

But probably that was not the argument put forward by those who wanted to wring its neck. They would probably spend the 2000$ on a lavish party or getting fancy gadgets for their car.

OP
Cardinal

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Eight days is too long, by an order of six to seven days. The animals have no recourse to escape the amount of accumulating droppings their captivity creates, nor will the water stay fresh that long. Effective way to end up creating ideal conditions for sickness, disease, and premature expiration.

I assume that they would die outright after 3 or 4 days. It is not just abuse. It is abuse+ a death sentence.

Most Reactions

Latest posts