Leg chains for parrots

supermanlives

Jan 14, 2024
Parrots
Ringneck
What your opinions on leg chains for parrots? Which brands are the best? And where do you buy yours from?

1708570368890.jpeg

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Can I ask why you want to put a leg chain on your parrot

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Leg chains are (in the US) considered not safe for parrots. Their legs are not strong enough to allow one to be used. Raptors are given leg chains and restraints but their legs are way, way thicker and stronger. Use a harness, like the Aviator, if you want to take you parrot outside. Much safer. The down side is the bird needs to be introduced to the harness; some take to it readily, some need a lot of training. My Amazon took almost a whole year of every night training, to accept the harness and be calm wearing it. 8 years later, its a non-issue to put it on.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
..Oh boy...I've re edited this post 5 times..but I'm gonna say it. I can't even believe they even still make something like this..or how it's even legal to sell it. This is beyond me!, that I can't even fathom the thought of EVER putting anything around a birds leg Not only because of SERIOUS dangers But he or she is a bird!, especially one as small as a Cockatiel or Conure.. and Any owner that would even think about putting something around a birds leg should never ever own a bird..even toys that have chains in themselves is dangerous. I was SUPER lucky to have Teeko survive his incident with his leg band, which was dangerous they must be monitored. Please don't put anything around your birds leg..birds can be EASILY frightend and a quick jolt into the air can lead to broken legs. Or dislocated legs. To even ask this question is beyond me. If ANYTHING use a harness. Please!! Sorry wrench but I had to say something..im sorry but this makes me so sad and angry 😠

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
@Teeko, in Asia, its very common practice to use leg chains on parrots. Been there lots of times and have seen a lot of that. On ParrotForums, which is a true international forum, we do not like to disparage customs and practices of other parts of the world. Make the member aware of alternatives and reasoning for it, but please don't judge another member as unfit to own a parrot because of it. I know you mean well.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Yes, I think if we had a clearer picture of why OP wants to use a leg chain we can offer alternatives. I would agree that they are unsafe. In the USA, I have only seen them used for raptors as wrench13 mentioned, and even in that case had anyone asked for my opinion I would have suggested an alternate setup--the bird's permanent residence was a small T-perch with a leg chain to keep him from flying elsewhere, with no enrichment provided. I wouldn't appreciate being chained to a chair 24/7.

I'm certain that (again, for raptors) there are likely reasonable use cases for a leg chain, perhaps when traveling with a bird, but as previously mentioned, raptors have much stronger legs than a parrot.

So, OP: if you asked about leg chains to keep your bird grounded to a playstand of some sort as an alternative for a cage, my recommendation would be to scrap that idea entirely and either get the bird a cage or bird-proof the room and make an indoor "aviary" of sorts. I've seen some people do the latter although almost always it seems like they have a cage available for the bird to retreat to anyway, even if it's opened 24/7, as birds tend to appreciate the security of a cage when anxious.

If you asked about leg chains to bring your bird outside, a harness as mentioned by wrench13 is virtually the only safe option, aside from perhaps just having a separate cage that you can lift and bring outdoors in sunny weather to give your bird some sunlight.

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
What your opinions on leg chains for parrots? Which brands are the best? And where do you buy yours from?

View attachment 57950
I don’t use leg chains. I have been working on using a harness with my conure for about 7 months. Although he is still not comfortable putting it on ( which is totally okay!) he is not scared of the harness when I take it out anymore! He will look at it and pick it up with his beak. I have seen people use leg chains for bigger birds (macaws ,cockatoos) once or twice. Personally I would not use one but everyone I has there own opinions.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
In the USA, I have only seen them used for raptors as wrench13 mentioned, and even in that case had anyone asked for my opinion I would have suggested an alternate setup--the bird's permanent residence was a small T-perch with a leg chain to keep him from flying elsewhere, with no enrichment provided. I wouldn't appreciate being chained to a chair 24/7.
As an aspiring falconer who is studying a lot for falconry I wanted to point out 2 things. Firstly, they are not leg chains, they are anklets and jesses/leashes, and are made of leather and specially designed and maintained for the comfort of the bird. There are very strict regulations on falconry gear, and I have never seen metal anklets or chains allowed anywhere. Secondly, as a falconer you are required to hunt with your bird. That is their enrichment. No offense to birds of prey, but they just aren't intelligent the way parrots are. They don't usually want to play with toys (in fact I have yet to see any raptor take interest in a toy), they want to hunt. While I do think that raptors deserve more than just a perch, they realistically don't really need one if flown very frequently (ideally daily, but at least 5 times a week). Remember, parrots and raptors have quite different minds, so looking at raptors from the perspective of a parrot keeper is not necessarily going to work. Raptors thrive whilst hunting, and when not hunting they often remain relatively stationary, they are not suited for an indoor life. While parrots do not hunt, and spend much of their day moving around and playing, and can thrive indoors.

Edited to add: At least in the US, if you don't fly your bird every week or so (may vary) for at least a couple hours (again, may vary), or don't have a large natural enclosure for them, you will get your license revoked and possibly get fined/arrested. The regulations are very strict and you have to get semi-frequent inspections of your mews, perches, and gear. It's very different than owning pet birds.

Last edited:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
As an aspiring falconer who is studying a lot for falconry I wanted to point out 2 things. Firstly, they are not leg chains, they are anklets and jesses/leashes, and are made of leather and specially designed and maintained for the comfort of the bird. There are very strict regulations on falconry gear, and I have never seen metal anklets or chains allowed anywhere. Secondly, as a falconer you are required to hunt with your bird. That is their enrichment. No offense to birds of prey, but they just aren't intelligent the way parrots are. They don't usually want to play with toys (in fact I have yet to see any raptor take interest in a toy), they want to hunt. While I do think that raptors deserve more than just a perch, they realistically don't really need one if flown very frequently (ideally daily, but at least 5 times a week). Remember, parrots and raptors have quite different minds, so looking at raptors from the perspective of a parrot keeper is not necessarily going to work. Raptors thrive whilst hunting, and when not hunting they often remain relatively stationary, they are not suited for an indoor life. While parrots do not hunt, and spend much of their day moving around and playing, and can thrive indoors.

Edited to add: At least in the US, if you don't fly your bird every week or so (may vary) for at least a couple hours (again, may vary), or don't have a large natural enclosure for them, you will get your license revoked and possibly get fined/arrested. The regulations are very strict and you have to get semi-frequent inspections of your mews, perches, and gear. It's very different than owning pet birds.
Thank you for this information! It is very interesting to read and know that now.

I'm honestly not sure the hawk I mentioned was being kept by someone who had any license to keep her, tbh. He trapped her himself using pigeons as bait--the pigeons were all jammed in a dog crate in his barn and when I asked about them he said he used them to trap hawks, as if he was constantly out there trapping hawks? Which might be legal, again I have no clue, but it seems like it should be illegal. I don't know, the whole thing was quite weird, it was a very long time ago so I don't recall the material of the chain itself, I assume you're probably right that it was leather because he'd probably have to go out of his way to find something metal but I just remember my heart breaking a bit thinking of a hawk being free outside and then trapped and kept on a tiny T-stand in some dude's office.

But I'm much more familiar with keeping parrots and for that matter pigeons as pets than I am falconry so the moment I saw pigeons jammed into a crate like clowns in a comically small car I was simply not going to give this guy a fair assessment. I have no idea how often he flew that hawk and she might have been quite happy.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thank you for this information! It is very interesting to read and know that now.

I'm honestly not sure the hawk I mentioned was being kept by someone who had any license to keep her, tbh. He trapped her himself using pigeons as bait--the pigeons were all jammed in a dog crate in his barn and when I asked about them he said he used them to trap hawks, as if he was constantly out there trapping hawks? Which might be legal, again I have no clue, but it seems like it should be illegal. I don't know, the whole thing was quite weird, it was a very long time ago so I don't recall the material of the chain itself, I assume you're probably right that it was leather because he'd probably have to go out of his way to find something metal but I just remember my heart breaking a bit thinking of a hawk being free outside and then trapped and kept on a tiny T-stand in some dude's office.

But I'm much more familiar with keeping parrots and for that matter pigeons as pets than I am falconry so the moment I saw pigeons jammed into a crate like clowns in a comically small car I was simply not going to give this guy a fair assessment. I have no idea how often he flew that hawk and she might have been quite happy.
It's perfectly legal and a very common practice to trap them from the wild, but you need a license to do so. Not just a normal hunting license, but a falconry license as well. Usually young hawks are trapped, as it does not affect the wild population. Pigeons can be used as bait, but those conditions sound horrendous for them.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I don't know anything about his, but my sun conure seemingly has the ability to break chains easily, at least the ones on toys.....so I dunno I guess get one not made of of tin. Personally I'd never use it and opt for a harness.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I am not sorry to say that people like you should not own a parrot.
On ParrotForums, which is a true international forum, we do not like to disparage customs and practices of other parts of the world. Make the member aware of alternatives and reasoning for it, but please don't judge another member as unfit to own a parrot because of it.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I was tight on budget once and I didn't want to pay for a harness so i made a leg band (I realize that was terrible) Sky hated it and he completely ignored me for a month!!!! everyone is right they should not be legal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts