Lessons from the First Week of Caique Ownership

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
My Caiques are helping me type this, so forgive any typos. I'm still teaching them how to spell. Here are just a few lessons from our first weeks of having the boys with us

Lesson 1: Cleanliness is next to birdliness
Moments after this, they both helped me clean up this mess. Whoever said birds were messy, obviously doesn't know them.
jowelbg-albums-bird-lessons-picture9044-cleanliness.jpg

Lesson 2: They're very anti-social
As you can tell from the picture, they even run away from their own reflections
jowelbg-albums-bird-lessons-picture9046-social-bird.jpg

Lesson 3: Caiques are graceful and majestic creatures.
There's never a moment that isn't highlighted by their poise and noble bearing.
jowelbg-albums-bird-lessons-picture9043-bird-bath2.jpg

Lesson 4: They hate to travel.
All they do the whole time is regurgitate. They obviously hate it.
jowelbg-albums-bird-lessons-picture9047-travel.jpg

Lesson 5: Caiques don't get along with other animals
I think the picture speaks for itself
jowelbg-albums-bird-lessons-picture9045-louie-beaker.jpg

What a busy week. :)

aawaeeasdefrrdaffcvcfw <-- from Beaker

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
They are soooooooooo cute !!! I cant take it :) I love the narration . I totally get it ,I have Sammy and Greta my Blk hd caiques. There used to be a member on here [I think he had 8 of them ] can you imagine !

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Wait a minute... How do you get them to stay with you when you're out and about? My baby just wants to explore everything!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AWESOME pictures and your narration had me on the floor. :D

They both made themselves right at home, didn't they? I bet now when you think of your life prior to having them home, it seemed pretty boring, no?

WendyM

Jun 21, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Bertie, scaley breasted lorikeet, 2007-2013, still miss you, chick. Cheeky, yellow sided green-cheeked conure, 2013-
Thank you for introducing your dirty, antisocial, animal hating caiques! They are just gorgeous and your pics and commentary very amusing

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Wait a minute... How do you get them to stay with you when you're out and about? My baby just wants to explore everything!!

I'm glad you thought for a second that I had any control over these guys. That means I at least put up a good front.

We have a lot of bird-friendly, animal loving friends. They get to wander and explore when we go there. If it's just errands, the boys stay in the cage. They're usually fascinated by everything moving around them. There's no stopping a Caique who wants to explore, that's for sure.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Horrible, just horrible!!
They are all that you say and more... :54:

Great pics!! Mine sits up on a towel rack and watches me shave every morning, the funny part is that he tries to get BEHIND the mirror to play with the other guy!!

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this! One of my favorite posts ever!

By the way, Bunsen and Beaker did a good job helping you type. Far better than Eliza and Henry who prefer to type something that appears to resemble Serbo-Croatian. (Google Translate isn't helping...)
:rolleyes:

BACON

May 18, 2013
Aspwww their gorgeous. I'm envious. I so badly want two BHC. Mum won't let me.... Spoil sport :)

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
I've just discovered another lesson from caique ownership. It's probably best expressed as a mathematical formula:

(Working at home) * (Paperwork) * (Pens and Pencils) * (Laptop)

/

(Black-Headed Caique + White-Bellied Caique)

=

Disaster of Epic Proportions
:eek:

They're back in their cages now. I just might join them...
:D

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Uh-oh! Did they try to finish up your report for you?

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Uh-oh! Did they try to finish up your report for you?

If, by "finish up," you mean did they pretty much devour it: then, yes--they definitely finished it up! :D

Still, they were having a blast. What's a missing financial report when they're so happy, right?
:)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
LOL! Great post! Loved the pics and narration! I can really see how much you are enjoying them. :D

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
So...um, any lessons from the second and third weeks of caique ownership, or do they not let you use the computer anymore? 😜

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Quoth the Caique, "Nevermore".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375079929.986416.jpg

Or they fake a heart attack in the middle of my post :-/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375080082.260512.jpg

Most Reactions