Let bands?

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Not finding anything on how to read the leg bands for identification.... so I thought I'd come to the experts, I understand the first 3 letters indicate the breeders initials, or state? And the numbers are the... lot number? Batch number? Of the bird...
How do I find where the breeder is, and can this give me a clear indication of the year he was hatched?
Someone told me that smaller breeders get a large box of bands and use them till they're gone, whether or not the year is accurate for that bird. (Actually sounds plausible. Unless I order a tag with specific info on a calf, it gets a random generated number that only tells you what number to call that calf.)

His leg band reads: GAH 252, as far as I can tell.
205d4cde75968726a9467d6f8b8edb7a.jpg
f6d730f7ddd19cbbe6b79bda43918cbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
i can see that is an open band, so it wasn't put on as a baby. Or the band had to be replaced. What kind of parrot?,

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bands only mean something to the breeder. There is no standardized system nationwide.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

In North America, all Amazons are now defined as endangered or greater. What that means is that any Amazon 5 years old or younger must have a detailed Hatch Certificate defining its species and the species of the parents, the hatch date of the Amazon, it's DNA Sex, contact information of the Breeder and every owner, including pet store(s), etc. to current.

If older then five years, this information is not required. But, the age may need to be proven. So, it is important to collect as much history as possible. As part of that history is a release of any Vet care the Parrot received to your Avian Medical Professional.

It has been a few decades since leg bands had any meaning. A split /open band has zero meaning, regarding the Legal Status of your Parrot. In short, in a Court of Law (North America), the band does not prove ownership. At present, a microchip, placed by an Avian Medical Professional is the only means of proving ownership.

Return to whom you purchased this Amazon and begin collecting information...

Last edited:
OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Thank you all. That's what I wondered, whether it was specific to the breeder(like cattle tag systems) or if they actually had significant information.
So, I could have it removed then? We want to microchip Ralph (BFA).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you all. That's what I wondered, whether it was specific to the breeder(like cattle tag systems) or if they actually had significant information.

Yes, you can have it removed. Like placing the microchip, its a job for your Avian Medical Professional. DIY approach and your BFA could loose the foot. Commonly, they become a keepsake for you.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Great advice above, all. Almost 40 years ago, I was able to find the Rickeybird's breeder by canvassing bird clubs in the general area of his origin. Gee, I wish there WERE a national registry of some kind.
Good for you, for reaching out.
I'm glad you're here!

9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020

Yes, you can have it removed. Like placing the microchip, its a job for your Avian Medical Professional. DIY approach and your BFA could loose the foot. Commonly, they become a keepsake for you.
Who on earth would attempt that on their own?!?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Who on earth would attempt that on their own?!?

Sadly, there are such individuals! If the Parrot is lucky, they make it to the Avian Professional prior to losing the foot or worst, the Parrot...

Moxie

Sep 25, 2020
Texoma
Parrots
macaws
Not finding anything on how to read the leg bands for identification.... so I thought I'd come to the experts, I understand the first 3 letters indicate the breeders initials, or state? And the numbers are the... lot number? Batch number? Of the bird...
How do I find where the breeder is, and can this give me a clear indication of the year he was hatched?
Someone told me that smaller breeders get a large box of bands and use them till they're gone, whether or not the year is accurate for that bird. (Actually sounds plausible. Unless I order a tag with specific info on a calf, it gets a random generated number that only tells you what number to call that calf.)

His leg band reads: GAH 252, as far as I can tell.
205d4cde75968726a9467d6f8b8edb7a.jpg
f6d730f7ddd19cbbe6b79bda43918cbe.jpg

It looks like the old open bands that they put on the birds that were imported into the United States prior to 1994. We had a Amazon that had a open band he was a wild caught bird.

I am one of those people... I have had to remove a leg band at home in order to save the bird from losing its leg. This was prior to emergency all night Vets, years ago we did not have those. Heck back then there weren't even Certified Avian Vets.

All of my birds are microchipped but one still has a leg band on him. Different Vets implant them differently but they are placed in the breast area. Some Vets will put them under with some gas to do it but others will put them in while they are wide awake. Didn't seem to hurt any of mine at all they didn't even make a noise when they stuck that big needle in. In fact Moxie got stuck twice because the chip wouldn't come out the first time. She never even made a noise or seem uncomfortable or stressed by it and she was wide awake.

Most Reactions