Let's talk about breeders?

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
So what makes a good bird breeder?

How do you find your breeders?

In the case of them living in different states, or providences, how did you hear of these breeders?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
A good breeder will work with you and be honest with you about everything! They also will not sell you an unweaned baby if you don't have the knowledge to hand feed one! They should allow you to visit your baby while growing up if you were to buy one that's still being hand fed.

You can find breeders through here BirdBreeders.com - Bird Breeders Directory of Availability and Parrot Breeders

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I'm from canada, do breeders ever ship to canada? Is there risk with the border, that the bird won't be allowed to come?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, that risk certainly exists. I am not familiar with Canadian laws when it comes to importing/exporting birds, you would have to inquire within the Government, I believe.

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
What's everyone's preference to babies and why?
Parrot fed?
Hand fed?

It sounds like most breeders hand feed, is it hard to find babies that are fed by parents, but hand tamed?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hard to find parent fed but tamed babies due to the breeders not working with the youngsters while they're growing up so they become afraid of people.

Hand fed babies are usually tamed, but there are some cases where the breeder did not socialize the baby well enough even though they were hand fed, but not really tamed.

Have you thought about getting a rescue or adoption of a older bird? They can be just as sweet you know, some times with a little work to retrain, they're wonderful!!!

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
Yes. Actually I have joined a rescue/bird group. But after initially meeting a bonded pair and turning them down I have yet to hear back from the organizer.... So I am looking down other avenues. I'm new to this, and am looking to soaks in as much info as possible so I don't make any bad choices for us or the bird.
Buying from a crappy breeder scares me, and I don't really understand what separates them.... Seems like selling unweaned babies is one thing (which I'm not interested in anyways).

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I LOVE how my Amazons were raised. Both of them were parent raised up until they were 3 weeks old. They were then pulled to be hand fed and thoroughly socialized from a young age. My Hunter grew up around kids, adults, cats, dogs, and birds. Sam came to me when he was 7 weeks old, and it was a bit difficult to socialize him as much as Hunter because my kids were "out of the house". So I made it a point that whenever people were over, they would talk to him, hold him if possible. And since I have dogs and other birds, he got used to them pretty quickly.

Niko was actually incubated and hand reared from day #1 because his dad is infamous for either breaking eggs and/or killing chicks.

Don't know about my Ripley, other than that he was sold as a wee baby to a bird store, where he was hand reared. Ripley was TERRIFIED of my dogs when I first brought him home (he was 18 months). Each time he'd lay eyes on one of my pups he'd let out this God-awful scream. :eek: It took him a good 2 weeks to realize they were no threat to him. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I don't know about the laws for Canada, but ask the breeders you contact if they have done it or are willing to. As a breeder of small birds, budgies, tiels, and Quakers, all of my babies were parent raised but handled often and were very sweet, cuddly, and practically fearless! It also allowed me to charge a lower price because I did not pay for hand feeding formula or equipment, and the time commitment was much smaller, however I had very few breeding pairs and it was a hobby not a business. Most good breeders hand raise, but I caution you, some "hand fed" babies are actually assembly-line babies who have had tubes inserted for easy feeding with a syringe in which there is no actual human interaction. I STRONGLY suggest traveling to meet and handle your bird before buying if you are putting in the money for a well socialized, tame and healthy bird. Keep in mind though, time and love can turn even a terror into a teddy, though some birds will never choose to be friends with humans.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also, most people want a baby so it can bond with them from an early age, but my most bonded bird came to me as an adult! Also, many people don't realize that getting a baby means you go through the hormones of "teenage" birds in a couple of years. And older bird has a proven personality, and often has years of good background to nail down good behavior. It also means skipping the teen years, and for a new bird owner, that might be a major bright side! I would never choose a baby over a sweet and well behaved older bird, especially considering the length of time these birds can live! Why turn down a 30 year old sweetheart, just to get a baby that may outlive you by generations? Of course babies have their perks, but I love a good proven pet with a few more years on them. What species are you looking at?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
there are a boat load of bad breeders and a only a handful of good ones!...I like to think I fit the later, ha ha.

since I live in Canada, Ontario actually, maybe I can refer you to one, unless your in another province.

were you looking for a particular type of bird/parrot?

Since I breed I have to buy my birds then raise chicks. for me there are a number of things to look for:

cleanliness/safety measures
how the breeder interacts with you and the birds/chicks
I ask many questions about the breeders practices, and about the parents.
Feeding is highly important, do they just feed them seed, or pellets?
do they feed them vegetables, and other types of proper foods?
are they vet checked? How long have they had them?....any illnesses?
the list is extensive.

many breeders WON'T tell you they've had issues.
if they don't show you the parents of the chicks, go elsewhere.
don't let them come up with excuses either.

basically go by your gut instinct, if it feels right, great, if you are unsure of anything, walk

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
there are a boat load of bad breeders and a only a handful of good ones!...I like to think I fit the later, ha ha.

since I live in Canada, Ontario actually, maybe I can refer you to one, unless your in another province.

were you looking for a particular type of bird/parrot?

Since I breed I have to buy my birds then raise chicks. for me there are a number of things to look for:

cleanliness/safety measures
how the breeder interacts with you and the birds/chicks
I ask many questions about the breeders practices, and about the parents.
Feeding is highly important, do they just feed them seed, or pellets?
do they feed them vegetables, and other types of proper foods?
are they vet checked? How long have they had them?....any illnesses?
the list is extensive.

many breeders WON'T tell you they've had issues.
if they don't show you the parents of the chicks, go elsewhere.
don't let them come up with excuses either.

basically go by your gut instinct, if it feels right, great, if you are unsure of anything, walk

I find it interesting that you mention if you cannot see the parents to go elsewhere. I contacted The Royal Bird Company in NC last night and they were hesitant to share pictures of their magna double yellow heads. After my continued insistence, they said when they have babies they would post them, normally they don't. I found that to be extremely odd. I would like to see the potential of how my bird may turn out. Each bird is different so my inquiring mind wanted to know what I could expect.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
some breeders will not let anyone into the breeders room, especially if the parents are currently nesting or 'working the nesting box'

I know my pairs fairly well, most don't care who comes thru the door, but I set up rules before I let anyone into the bird room, and only for a short period of time.

on occasion I have opened the door to let them see my set-up, but NOT let them in the room.

I too, find it odd that they won't share a picture of the parents.

how many times have we bought something, and weren't sure at the time, but bought it anyways, then regretted it later???.....

be sure of what you buy, it has to feel right, and you will know when it is, and there won't be any regrets.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I checked out the link that Wendy provided on your other post.

they appear to be credible and on a very large scale.

I don't breed amazons so I am not going to comment on how their genetics work.

I would tend to think they won't post a picture of the parents due to the fact that if they have an excellent cliental and waiting list without posting any pictures, they feel it's not necessary....but again I am not judging, I am only guessing.

I hope you find what your looking for

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
1. A good breeder will take precautions to give you a bird that is both physically healthy, and mentally healthy. (i.e. they use proper quarantine procedures, and their techniques do not cause or encourage phobias or neurotic behaviors.)

2. A good breeder does not sell unweaned birds to inexperienced hand feeders.

3. A good breeder will take the time to Abundance Wean, and allow the bird to fledge.

4. A good breeder will do the basic socialization, i.e. will go to more than one person, will step up, allows touching, does not attempt to amputate fingers.

5. A good breeder will give you the basic care need information, food, housing, bathing, grooming, toys, regression feeding, etc.

6. A good breeder can tell you a little bit about your individual bird's personality, and what to watch for in terms of behavior quirks, as well as the breed in general.

7. A good breeder gives a health guarantee.

8. A good breeder gives love, and instills love in their birds...

I can usually tell right away... The difference between a breeder that takes the time to socialize their birds vs. someone who just gives their babies food... (especially when they force wean!) it's night and day!!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'm not sure what species your looking to ship from the USA to canada, HOWEVER It would be very difficult to ship any CITIES listed birds. Most parrots are listed as CITIES1 or2. Your best chance is to buy from a Canadian breeder. birdbreeders.com won't be of much help.

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
I'm from vancouver island, and I'm looking for a yellow nape amazon.
There is a local breeder, but I want to know I'm getting a baby that is raised and cared for right before I get it.

I love to have a list of questions for him, and to make sure I'm getting a baby that won't have issues from stress the breeder could give before I get him or her.

Do most breeders give papers? I've heard people say they have papers before?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'm from vancouver island, and I'm looking for a yellow nape amazon.
There is a local breeder, but I want to know I'm getting a baby that is raised and cared for right before I get it.

I love to have a list of questions for him, and to make sure I'm getting a baby that won't have issues from stress the breeder could give before I get him or her.

Do most breeders give papers? I've heard people say they have papers before?

The only "paper" normal is a hatch certificate if the birds was banded. The rest of your questions can be answered by seeing the baby.Does it appear healthy? Well socialized, does it step up? appear unafraid? I'm not sure what stresses the breeder would give it. A good baby zon should be friendly ,outgoing and not "fearful". Being local to your area i'd think visiting would be an option. Show some interest and maybe the breeder would give more effort to providing a good baby to stimulate the local market. satisfied customers are their best advertising in local(limited) market such as yours.

Most Reactions