Not open for further replies.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
For context, Cody is a re-home bird that was found on a craigslist ad in 2021.
The ad simply stated "DNA sexed male, rehoming fee applies."
When his previous owner and I were discussing his re-home, I mentioned his age, and she said he was 2 years old at the time.
And when she brought him over to us, I checked his documents and clear as day it stated that Cody's hatch date was on July 4 of 2018, so I took her word for it since I saw it on paper.
A couple weeks later, I noticed Cody's leg band and saw June's leg band, expecting them to be the same. However June's was closed and Cody's had a gap, so it was an open leg band. I got a little confused.
I know that open leg bands can mean either the bird was wild caught or imported from a different country, but then again, I also know that the importation ban on exotic birds (I think) was in effect in the year 1992. That's way before 2018 for sure.
So my questions.
1. Cody's open leg band has no lettering whatsoever. It's strange. It's just a rounded silver open ring on his ankle. Nothing coded on it. So what does that mean?
2. Let's look at reason 1. If Cody was wild caught, how did the previous owner get a hold of his "hatch date"? Is there a possibility that it could have been a fake document? I wouldn't know a birds hatch date if I was taking them in from the jungle. (Lol)
3. Let's look at reason 2 then. If Cody was instead imported from a different country, then does that mean that he is a much older bird than what I was told? Because again, from my knowledge the importation of parrot species was banned in 1992, so there's no way (I think) that Cody was imported after that year, since at that point it would be illegal. Is Codys real hatch date before then?
You guys could put in your own thoughts and let me know here. I'm just really curious about Cody's actual background and especially his age. I mean, yes I saw his hatch date on what I think was an official document, but I'm not sure now. People could fake a lot of things nowadays. Help. Hehe.

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Have you checked to see if the bird has been microchipped? Sometimes vets will put on leg bands to indicate that the bird has been microchipped. Just a thought…

Also, if it was imported it would have information from the quarantine station on the band. Since it is blank it makes me think the bird has not been imported.

I bought an open band for my bird for ID purposes, with their name and my phone number. Since that one is blank it makes me think it came from the vet. Just take it by and have your vet check for one (microchip). It would contain all their information and you can update it with your new information.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Have you checked to see if the bird has been microchipped? Sometimes vets will put on leg bands to indicate that the bird has been microchipped. Just a thought…
Ooooh haven't thought of it but def will look into it more. Thank you!

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Ooooh haven't thought of it but def will look into it more. Thank you!

Happy to help! Also, it is normal practice for vets to put on a blank leg band at the same time the bird is microchipped. The reason is so that if the bird ends up at an animal/ rescue shelter or another vet’s office, it is a waving flag that says, “Hey, this bird has been microchipped with owner information.” It saves a lot of time in identifying the owners.

So my bet is that your documentation is accurate and you just need to update owner information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts