African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Wow! Thanks for posting the pictures, Ant - your boys are gorgeous and so are you! I really needed to see what they looked like because, according to Mishka, they might not have been - y'know - normal. LOLOLOL!

We had a breakthrough today: Barney said 'G'day' to me (instead of his incessant 'Hello') and either he or Madge muttered 'Hello Barney' when I took their cover off this morning. I'll be so glad when their vocab is out of single digits! There's only so many ways you can say 'Hello' - y'know? Do you reckon it's better to repeat a single word or phrase until they get that, or just speak to them normally until they pick up something at random?

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Beautiful children Ant! Thanks for sharing the pics!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Wow! Thanks for posting the pictures, Ant - your boys are gorgeous and so are you! I really needed to see what they looked like because, according to Mishka, they might not have been - y'know - normal. LOLOLOL!

We had a breakthrough today: Barney said 'G'day' to me (instead of his incessant 'Hello') and either he or Madge muttered 'Hello Barney' when I took their cover off this morning. I'll be so glad when their vocab is out of single digits! There's only so many ways you can say 'Hello' - y'know? Do you reckon it's better to repeat a single word or phrase until they get that, or just speak to them normally until they pick up something at random?

Thank you
LoL they are normal in every sense of the word Do not believe EVERYTHING says :eek:

My best advice would be to talk to your bird constantly 24/7.

Include your birds in EVERY conversation, besides learning new words etc your relationship pertaining to bonding and trust will grow daily. They absorb words, even though they might not say them for ages.

Keep repeating a particular word EG:

Love

Saying -

I love you

I love mommy/daddy

Mommy/daddy loves you (birds name)

(Birds name) Loves you

(Birds name) Loves mommy/daddy

Mix and match your words in a simple manner.
Eventually your birds will begin doing the same.

Below is a thread where I explain how I teach Mishka to talk.

Talking - How I teach Mishka to talk

Good luck

:grey:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Handsome kids!!!! Yes your handsome too Ant!!! :D. Pretty I mean.... :54:

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
At our work place we have 3 Chinese Geese

I christened them this week
Donald - Daisy - Duffy

Each morning before work I get to feed them, pellets, bread lettuce and veggies.
The male is normally the vicious one and attacks staff members.
I had a tremendous break through this week, the male took food directly from my hand.

I spoke to them about the birds and bees a few weeks ago and guess what ???
They laid 3 eggs

SO I am going to be a granny :D:p:eek::p:eek::D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGBlq-KFd8"]Chinese Geese - At our work place - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
How lovely! Aren't they beautiful geese? I'm so glad you befriended them, Ant. People often forget they're just goosin' around, tryin' to make a livin' where they can. Love the names too! :D

I have a goose story too, and yes, they were Chinese Geese as well.

When I was doing my teaching degree, a goose nested in the tiny lake near our residential college. She had a few goslings which grew up and flew away except for the little one that somehow broke his leg. The leg healed awkwardly and the baby was very badly crippled. He could swim, but not quickly enough to catch insects etc. He couldn't run well enough to escape cats or dogs either. So the goose stayed on the lake with her baby and fed him well into his adulthood. She was absolutely VICIOUS toward any man or beast who approached the gosling, flapping and honking and biting like mad. Eventually, it became clear the pair couldn't be allowed to stay on the lake because the goose was deemed 'too dangerous'. Luckily, though, one of the blokes from Livestock Production sneaked down at night and netted the pair before the Works Department got to lay poisoned grain for them. The gosling had a quick trip to the vet's where his leg was re-broken and set. Then, the pair wound up at the bloke's farm where, presumably, they lived out their days.

A rather unpleasant aside to this story is that I had bought myself a gorgeous pale pink silk dress to teach in. One lunchtime, all of us teaching prac. students sat around beside the lake, sharing our sandwiches with the geese. I happened to lie full-length on my front on the lovely cushiony green grass, luxuriating in the gorgeous summer breeze under the willows and secretly admiring the excellence of my cunningly braided hair-do. When it was time to go, you can imagine my utter horror as I realised I had been reclining with my right breast planted neatly on top of the biggest, most nuclear green goose-poo ever pooped! My gorgeous pale pink dress was ruined! Not only that, but I had a scant five minutes in which to dab ineffectually at the neon green stain before I was due back in the classroom to take senior choir! The kids got a wonderful laugh at my expense that afternoon. Sigh.

PS. Goose poo smells pretty bad. Oh, and FYI, a single dose can spread into a circle with a diameter of roughly ten inches. I know this to be true. :(

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
How lovely! Aren't they beautiful geese? When I was doing my teaching degree, a goose nested in the tiny lake near our residential college. She had a few goslings which grew up and flew away except for the little one that somehow broke his leg. The leg healed awkwardly and so the goose stayed on the lake with her baby and fed him well into adulthood. She was absolutely VICIOUS toward anyone who approached the gosling, flapping and honking and biting like mad. Eventually, it became clear the pair couldn't be allowed to stay on the lake because the goose was deemed 'too dangerous'. Luckily, though, one of the blokes from Livestock Production sneaked down at night and netted the pair before the Works Department got to lay poisoned grain for them. The gosling had a quick trip to the vet's where his leg was re-broken and set correctly. Then, the pair wound up at the bloke's farm where, presumably, they lived out their days.

A rather unpleasant aside to this story is that I had bought myself a gorgeous pale pink silk dress to teach in. One lunchtime, all of us teaching prac. students sat around beside the lake, sharing our sandwiches with the geese. I happened to lie full-length on my front on the lovely cushiony green grass, luxuriating in the gorgeous summer breeze and the excellence of my rather cunningly braided hair-do. When it was time to go, you can imagine my utter horror as I realised I had been reclining with my right breast planted neatly on top of the biggest, most nuclear green goose-poo ever pooped! My gorgeous pale pink dress was ruined! Not only that, but I had a scant five minutes in which to dab ineffectually at the neon green stain before I was due back in the classroom to take senior choir! The kids got a wonderful laugh at my expense that afternoon. Sigh.

PS. Goose poo smells pretty bad too. Oh, and FYI, a single dose can spread into a circle with a diameter of roughly ten inches. I know this to be true. :(

OMG I am still laughing !!!!!! SORRY Trish :p

I can just imagine the look on your face :eek:

Not to mention your students reaction.

Sorry about your beautiful dress :11:

Glad the geese were taken away........

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ant, are those geese as big as they look???? :11: They are GORGEOUS!!!! I know I wouldn't want to get bit by one of them. What stunning animals!!!

So granny, how long before the grandkids arrive? :D

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ant, are those geese as big as they look???? :11: They are GORGEOUS!!!! I know I wouldn't want to get bit by one of them. What stunning animals!!!

So granny, how long before the grandkids arrive? :D

Believe me they look even bigger in real life, they sure are beautiful.

I love it when they "honk" guess its their way of talking. Guess I will soon begin honking LoL

I must try take a pic of their tongues..... long thin and pink with razor like edges

I believe they have not had any babies in the last 3 years, a the mother refuses to sit on the eggs. I better have a chat with her.

If she does sit on them, not sure how long it will take them to hatch. I have got some research to do.....

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great news !!!!
The Chinese geese have laid over 14 eggs (boy they have been busy LoL)

It takes them between 23 to 27 days to hatch......

Will be 31 days tomorrow, I can't wait to see if any hatched.

Most Reactions

Latest posts