Life with Birdnando

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Fernando: Greenwing Macaw
My biggest problem is my fear. I know, I know, you CANNOT fear the beak or assume that the bird will bite. And that's EXACTLY what I do. In training Fernando, I need to train myself. Given a choice between the two, I find it easier to train Fernando.

It's almost like Pavlov's dog for me. "OK, well last time he was near me he bit me, and he bit me the time before that, so this time I will SURELY get bit".

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Have you read the post below? It might help. Also I just think you should know that I always read Birdnando as Birdnado which is sort of like sharknado with a beak [emoji23]

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...read.php?t=56384&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I read that thread religiously. I'm actually thinking about using it as part of our rescue's new parront informational packet, with permission of course.

Dear God, could you imagine a tornado made of green wing macaws? Sheesh... :19_indiff

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Started target training with Birdnando. He seems more responsive to praise than pine nuts, so I'll stick with what works. He let me rub his feet yesterday through the cage door without snapping (progress!!). He also stepped up on my dad and didn't want to get off. As soon as he put Bird down, he was waving his foot in the air, "Dad come get me!"

Here is the turd bird in question, in all his birdy turdyness.

Attachments

• 20200822_202857.jpg
    20200822_202857.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 151

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Also I just think you should know that I always read Birdnando as Birdnado which is sort of like sharknado with a beak [emoji23]

Me too! Birdnado, like a sharknado, but with wings instead of fins. :D

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Someone has discovered that the kitchen sink dispenses water. He looks like a drowned rat bless his big red heart. 🤣

Attachments

• 20200828_193144.jpg
    20200828_193144.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 139
OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
I am amazed. Fernando decided to climb up on my bed, and I just knew he was gonna go after me. I just knew I was gonna get bit and he wasn't gonna let go and... nope, that didn't happen. In fact, rather than go after me, he decided to bang his beak and make a funky beat on my laptop case. When he was tired of the performance life and felt like settling down, he flew most gracefully to the top of his cage.

God I love this doofus.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am amazed. Fernando decided to climb up on my bed, and I just knew he was gonna go after me. I just knew I was gonna get bit and he wasn't gonna let go and... nope, that didn't happen. In fact, rather than go after me, he decided to bang his beak and make a funky beat on my laptop case. When he was tired of the performance life and felt like settling down, he flew most gracefully to the top of his cage.

God I love this doofus.

When he climbed on the bed, did you do your best to act nonchalant and not give him the vibe of fear or concern?

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Something beautiful happened last night. Fernando stepped up without ANY bites or snaps, and not only that, he actually WANTED to be with me. He even did his happy noise when I scratched his head, it bout made me cry.

His final adoption date is coming up soon, I can't wait!!

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is beyond exciting!! What a phenomenal update ❤ keep up the good work!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'd say you had a magnificent breakthrough! Might see a few steps back at times, but more great strides ahead!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Love this thread! Its beautiful to see this Macaw open up like a flower. More pics, please!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Someone has discovered that the kitchen sink dispenses water. He looks like a drowned rat bless his big red heart. 🤣

You need to enter this in the photo of the month contest! The theme is emotion
To me this picture captures regret like that little foot up by his face, the mmmm that did turn out as planned

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Woo hooooooo! A few more days and it's official. Congratulations! Happy dance! :D

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Fernando by ABBA is ringing in my head now. :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Well everyone, it's official.

Fernando has officially become a member of our family. Congratulations big guy!!

Most Reactions