lighting question/help

jpm252cc

Feb 3, 2016
hello we have always used the feather brite lighting for our conures it used to be one light that you used now recently they have done away with the one bulb and are using two bulbs one regular size bulb and a smaller light which is the blue light. dont really know why feather brite has done this maybe to get more money.any way we only have the one type lighting that will accept both bulbs oh bye the way you have to buy an adaptor for the two bulbs. the lamp for these bulbs is quite pricy. we would need to buy 2 more, we recently were looking at the zoo med avian sun compact fluorecent bird lamp which is showing it at 26 watts the feather brite light we use is 6 watts so is this going to be a problem. please help with this what is every one else using for there lighting.just not sure what we need to do thank you for all the help

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Long, long, long story, very short: Stop wasting your money on product that is little more, if any at all, better than a standard LED, low watt, Day Light (blue side of the light spectrum) bulb.

Place the LED bulb in the 'general area' of your bird (as if for general room lighting), but never next to them. The product you speak about was originally provide to the reptile market place, which is totally different than Avian and should not be used for Avian applications as they are far to bright and may cause blindness in Avians.

If your goal is heat, that is a totally different product! Look at portable oil filled radiators.

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, Goffin’s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
Long, long, long story, very short: Stop wasting your money on product that is little more, if any at all, better than a standard LED, low watt, Day Light (blue side of the light spectrum) bulb.

Place the LED bulb in the 'general area' of your bird (as if for general room lighting), but never next to them. The product you speak about was originally provide to the reptile market place, which is totally different than Avian and should not be used for Avian applications as they are far to bright and may cause blindness in Avians.

If your goal is heat, that is a totally different product! Look at portable oil filled radiators.

It’s so refreshing to read your reply after watching dozens of people recommend lights on social media like Facebook, without anything to back up any science.

This is a post from Windy City Parrot that I found quite interesting regarding lighting and parrots:
https://www.windycityparrot.com/blog/2015/08/06/birds-full-spectrum-lighting-got-wrong/

Loki - Sun Conure [emoji169]
Clover - Lineolated Parakeet [emoji172]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

It’s so refreshing to read your reply after watching dozens of people recommend lights on social media like Facebook, without anything to back up any science.

This is a post from Windy City Parrot that I found quite interesting regarding lighting and parrots:
https://www.windycityparrot.com/blog/2015/08/06/birds-full-spectrum-lighting-got-wrong/

Thank you for your comments...

I did read the Windy City Parrots link and enjoyed it, likely because the author and I are about the same age... Sadly, the well written article will go mostly unread by todays 'Give Me An Answer, Now' crowd.

Again, Thank You...

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, Goffin’s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
@SailBoat it’s such a well-written article, but I fear you are right, unfortunately.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
They both did the same article. lol However, just to remind, parrots see better than we do especially into the upper end of spectrum. One reason they are better (worse) than we are at reading body language. As far as light and " D " go. Harness train the bird and take it outside more; place a perch at a couple of sun side windows, with some toys AND just feed them properly. jh

Most Reactions

Latest posts