Local pet store story :(

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
I walked into this pet store (a local one of mine, not a big-box store) and they have a U2 that was surrendered there. He's cute but I looked across the room and saw this ADORABLE green budgie. He was all by himself in a nice, enriched cage. I assume his cage mates had all been sold and he was the only one left. Of course I pondered on the thought of bringing him home, but obviously wasn't in the best interest of him (so I thought) or my birdies. I was there to look for some fish for a 85g tank I am setting up. So as I am looking around the store this pair of newlywedds come into the store, and stop at the little cute greenie. I was stalking them a little bit as they walked to the bird section of the store, and picked out the cozy hut- and i was like (oh crap)- then they go for the mirror... and the seed... and the fuzzy corner... and then the worst of all - the tiny little old-style round, tweety bird cage. I start bawling as they take the parakeet out and shove him into a perchless, tiny, green cage. I talked to them, and didn't convince them to let me buy it an better sized cage, or get rid of the crap, but i did get it 3 small different types of perches... and some pellets. And i realize as they walk out, what a horrible life that baby will have :cry::cry:😭😭

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I walked into this pet store (a local one of mine, not a big-box store) and they have a U2 that was surrendered there. He's cute but I looked across the room and saw this ADORABLE green budgie. He was all by himself in a nice, enriched cage. I assume his cage mates had all been sold and he was the only one left. Of course I pondered on the thought of bringing him home, but obviously wasn't in the best interest of him (so I thought) or my birdies. I was there to look for some fish for a 85g tank I am setting up. So as I am looking around the store this pair of newlywedds come into the store, and stop at the little cute greenie. I was stalking them a little bit as they walked to the bird section of the store, and picked out the cozy hut- and i was like (oh crap)- then they go for the mirror... and the seed... and the fuzzy corner... and then the worst of all - the tiny little old-style round, tweety bird cage. I start bawling as they take the parakeet out and shove him into a perchless, tiny, green cage. I talked to them, and didn't convince them to let me buy it an better sized cage, or get rid of the crap, but i did get it 3 small different types of perches... and some pellets. And i realize as they walk out, what a horrible life that baby will have :cry::cry:😭😭
It's heartbreaking that we can't save them all:(
Hopefully some of what you said got through to them, or if it didn't that they find he's too loud and bring him back.

You never know, you may have changed that budgies life by talking to them, and they may decide to do more research when they get home with him. I hope so, anyway.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I always hate this. I'm glad I have the ability to reject sales at my work. even feeder fish I'll refuse to sell them if they plan to put them in anything other than a 35+ gal

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
I would reject sales, if I owned the pet store, I wouldn't even sell the crap. I understand the need to make the money, and bring home the bacon, but I don't get putting precious lives at stake for it. The guy who owns the store is SOOOO empathetic, treats his animals SO well (the bettas' have each their own 2.5 gallon tanks.. its wayy better than the cups AND the life they probably get after being purchased) The birds have SOO much interaction and enrichment, the hampsters have large enclosures, the snakes have- well you get the point. I think he just trys not to think about what happens to them when they leave the store. (at least he sells his parakeets for $65 to get rid of the impulse buyers)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I wish I didn't have to hear about stuff like this. We all know these things happen everyday. I like to be uplifted, not go to bed upset about the fate of yet another innocent little bird.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
if I ever become rich I want to open a really nice petstore. I would probably only focus on one or two species though. Idk if I would want to do birds, as much as I love them. Depends how much money I've got and how many people I can hire. Otherwise I would probably go the rodent route if I wanted it to be smaller.

One day I'll win the lottery:(

TangoBango

Apr 14, 2023
Washington
Parrots
3 pinapple green cheeks
3 african grey parrots
1 senagal parrot
Oh my god. That is sad! I feel like i am about to cry after reading that... 😭

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I guess they really questioned your motives by refusing your advice and help.

I'd like to open a rescue when I retire, but what happens to it when I croak?

Most Reactions