Lonely Peach Front Conure

Emalchoff

Oct 28, 2022
Saranac Lake, NY
Parrots
Peach front conure
I recently lost my GCC to an unknown illness. His buddy, a peach front conure named Kokiri is thankfully unaffected but I'm concerned about his wel being as he is now my only bird. Kokiri did not share a cage with my green cheek but their cages were next to each other and when they were out during the day they would usually spend time together and preen each other. Kokiri is semi tame but isn't particularly bonded with me and I worry that he will feel rather lonely now. Should I look for another peach front (aka, needle in a haystack), or other bird? Or should I let him take some time to grieve for his friend and hope that he bonds more strongly to me?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you would like to be closer to kokiri, you could put off getting another bird and spend more time with him. Try to become his best buddy. You may not have had a chance before when kokiri had his best bird friend next door.

If despite your efforts, kokiri won’t come around, perhaps then you could find another conure to keep him company. But you never know if the new bird will like kokiri or if he’ll want to spend all his time with you.

I think kokiri could have a happy life whatever you choose. Just be sure he has your time if he doesn’t have another bird pal.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I recently lost my GCC to an unknown illness. His buddy, a peach front conure named Kokiri is thankfully unaffected but I'm concerned about his wel being as he is now my only bird. Kokiri did not share a cage with my green cheek but their cages were next to each other and when they were out during the day they would usually spend time together and preen each other. Kokiri is semi tame but isn't particularly bonded with me and I worry that he will feel rather lonely now. Should I look for another peach front (aka, needle in a haystack), or other bird? Or should I let him take some time to grieve for his friend and hope that he bonds more strongly to me?
Hi, @Emalchoff. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your GCC to illness. I am in Pennsylvania, and I also have a lone Peach-fronted Conure. He is a DNA tested male. He loves other Conures. He has been around quite a few. I really want him to have a same-species companion. I got him as a foster, but I've had him for over two years. He was very plucked when he was relinquished. I gave him quite a good life and he let down feathers grow in. He is just not as happy as he would be with a proper companion. He started bonding with Conures but complications arose with other Conures (love triangles). I would take on a PFC for him, and keep them both as forever-home parrots. (I take the "forever" commitment very seriously.) I also would rehome him if it made his life better.

Most Reactions